Moparts

Converting 67 GTX to power steering questions

Posted By: 440mopar

Converting 67 GTX to power steering questions - 01/17/18 05:17 PM

I want to convert my 67 GTX to power steering. I have to get a two groove crank pulley and have a question. I would like to know if the crank pulleys on 67 440's are any different than later years (different part number)? I think I have a forged crank two groove pulley in my collection of parts but it is likely from a later model year car. Also, will I have to use a different water pump pulley when changing to a two groove crank pulley?
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Converting 67 GTX to power steering questions - 01/17/18 08:10 PM

I'm not sure about '67, but I did this swap on my '70 and I'm trying to remember.

1. I "think" your newer crank pulley will work, but you should check the outer diameter of the pulley in the belt groove (piece of string). There's "something" in the back of my head about some crank pulleys having one offset bolt hole & others being completely symmetrical (not sure)

2. As long as the water pump pulley still lines up with the crank pulley, I don't believe you have to change it (I didn't)

Also, my motor is a hodge-podge of years & I did have to use a couple washers here & there to get all the pulleys to line up straight with the power steering.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Converting 67 GTX to power steering questions - 01/18/18 06:38 AM

Also note that A/C cars used a larger diamter pump pulley than a non A/C car.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Converting 67 GTX to power steering questions - 01/18/18 08:57 AM

It's the other way around, A/C cars had a smaller pulley to spin the pump faster.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Converting 67 GTX to power steering questions - 01/18/18 01:59 PM

Don't forget that the steering columns are different lengths
© 2024 Moparts Forums