Moparts

Ignition timing over heating?

Posted By: da50r

Ignition timing over heating? - 01/16/18 11:04 PM

Is it really possible to overheat a Smallblock pretty fast without enough timing? You’d think it wouldn’t run or even be smooth. 2000 rpms it runs hot in 5 min. I need to get timing tape on it to see where it is. Timing by “feel” isn’t working.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Ignition timing over heating? - 01/16/18 11:19 PM

I's start looking elsewhere at the cooling system but you really do need to get the timing correct also.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Ignition timing over heating? - 01/16/18 11:22 PM

It may not be related, but I changed up how my timing works, and mine seems to run a lot cooler on the highway now.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Ignition timing over heating? - 01/16/18 11:38 PM

Or get a dial back timing light and forget the tape.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Ignition timing over heating? - 01/20/18 05:10 AM

0.0632683" is (1) degree. measure out a strip of paper for how many degrees you need. IE 2&1/4" (2.246") is 35.5 degrees. How hot is "hot" Confirmed with a good mech gauge? is this a new ring breakin? I'd think 30 deg (1.898") at 2000 RPM would be enough to keep it from overheating from retarded timing.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Ignition timing over heating? - 01/20/18 06:19 AM

YES. I think alot of old cars overheat because their owners won't check the timing or don't set it correctly. When its too retarded more of the bore is exposed to more flame front, and you get more heat transfer into the coolant.

Vacuum advance helps too. With stock type timing curves removing the vacuum advance will often cause them to run hot.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ignition timing over heating? - 01/20/18 07:48 AM

To little as well as to much total timing will make motors run hotter than when there tuned properly scope
Do you have access, beg, borrow or rent, to a dial back timing light? If so get it and let us know if you need help on how to use it to set your timing correctly thumbs
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Ignition timing over heating? - 01/21/18 03:51 AM

and to add to what was said, too little timing can feel smooth.
© 2024 Moparts Forums