Moparts

'73-'74 spool engine mounts

Posted By: 340clone

'73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 07:52 AM

While I've got the 440 out of my '74 Charger, I figured it would be a good time to replace the mounts. Year One sells just the insulators, but say they need to be pressed in to original mounts. Is this difficult? I wonder if pressed means simply slipped in, or mechanically pressed in?

The only other ones I see online are NOS so they're 45 years old. What is everyone doing to replace this type of mount these days?

Thanks!
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 08:03 AM

The stock isolators are pressed into the bracket like a control arm bushing.Not a slip fit in other words.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 08:09 AM

They aren't a real tight fit. You don't need a press, but you will need to straighten the small end. With that said, the aftermarket parts store inserts are garbage...

Attached picture DW140009 noted.jpg
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 08:26 AM

The urethane replacement bushings will reuse the OE metal sleeve.You will have to dig/cut grind out the old rubber bushing material first.
Like these I'm sure you saw on Year One's page
https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/mu344
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk
They aren't a real tight fit. You don't need a press, but you will need to straighten the small end. With that said, the aftermarket parts store inserts are garbage...

I tack welded mine. They just seemed too loose even after swaging the end.

I filled the open space with silicone caulking. Been that way since 1997. I'd think that would be a little less harsh than poly inserts.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 03:54 PM

I have used the NOS spool mounts on two different cars and they have been fine. No issues with the rubber on them. BTW, P4120757 was a mopar performance mount pkg that was made all the way up to sometime in the mid 90`s.
Posted By: 340clone

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 05:32 PM

Good info!

I've noticed that some of the NOS mounts online have orange or white paint on them. It looks like there are a few different part numbers stamped on them, each with either White, Orange or Green stamped next to the number. I guess the paint color determined the part number.

Does anyone know what the difference in colors are? I've only seen Orange and White. Are they interchangeable?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By 340clone
Good info!

I've noticed that some of the NOS mounts online have orange or white paint on them. It looks like there are a few different part numbers stamped on them, each with either White, Orange or Green stamped next to the number. I guess the paint color determined the part number.

Does anyone know what the difference in colors are? I've only seen Orange and White. Are they interchangeable?

All the same. I have wondered about the multiple part numbers, too.

Attached picture motor mount 3.jpg
Attached picture motor mount 4.jpg
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 06:51 PM

Buying the inserts and digging out the old rubber is a huge PIA. I only did it once. Schumacher mounts aren't cheap, but saves a lot of time & effort.

As for the dabs of paint, they could be inspection marks, like they have done on rears and other parts as they went down the assembly line. i.e.: bolts tightened.
Posted By: 74RALLYE

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By autoxcuda
Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk

I tack welded mine. They just seemed too loose even after swaging the end.

I filled the open space with silicone caulking. Been that way since 1997. I'd think that would be a little less harsh than poly inserts.

That's what worked for me as well.
A torch will make quick work of removing the rubber. If you buy mounts from NAPA try to get the ones made in Mexico, the ones from India need to have the rubber drilled out for the long bolt to pass through.

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 10:23 PM

The made in India mounts last about a day if your lucky. The rubber is horrible. I had a made in India trans mount on my car and it lasted about a month or so.

These on ebay seem like a decent deal for NOS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-Motor...epid=1911257443

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/16/18 10:32 PM

Rock auto has a complete mount for $20.79 but only the left side. Right side is shown not available.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3462252&cc=1079951&jsn=583
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/17/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By 340clone

The only other ones I see online are NOS so they're 45 years old. What is everyone doing to replace this type of mount these days?

Thanks!

Actually they could be maybe 25-30 Years old still being made up to mid 90s as a regular replacement easy to find back then from Mopar dealers?

My car got a NOS set locally ( not in USA so maybe they are actually OOOOLD ) and they are holding nice. Also got Anchors bushing replacement from Rockauto thinking on replace the old ones, but find the NOS ones couple of weeks later I got the bushings. Still on their boxes, but they seem to be nice pieces and easy to replace.
Posted By: moparx

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/17/18 05:16 PM

filling the voids in spool type mounts with windshield urethane has worked well for me for many years. in my opinion, way better than just filling them with silicone.
beer
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/20/18 02:12 AM

Maybe try to find NOS aftermarket ones the older the better,look for boxes that say made in USA & without bar codes,keep checking Ebag & run all the different part #s,2369 seems to be the magic# you will find them sooner or later.
TRW# 83087 2 on Ebag now.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/20/18 05:28 PM

FWIW the spool mounts are expensive and last I checked (2 weeks ago) they are not available. Just buy a good quality factory mount. If you are worried about it breaking at launch, get a chain or a torque strap.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/20/18 05:38 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1973-79-Big-Block-Motor-Mounts/322856299036

ChetBay has them $90 and free shipping with long bolts and nuts. The real ones last a Loooong time.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: '73-'74 spool engine mounts - 01/21/18 10:08 PM

Looks like someone bought the ones I showed the same day I posted as they were listed for a looong time......
© 2024 Moparts Forums