Moparts

Removing paint from dash pad

Posted By: 73cuda340

Removing paint from dash pad - 01/16/18 01:47 AM

What's the best way to remove paint overspray on a dash pad? My dash pad is covered in overspray from when it was at the body shop and I've tried a clay bar so far and lots of scrubbing with other cleaners but nothings touching it. I've heard of people using brake cleaner, but I'm not sure if it's safe for the dash. Is there anything else that works?
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Removing paint from dash pad - 01/16/18 06:53 AM

lacquer thinner or goof off?
you are going to have to use a solvent of some sorts
to loosen it up so it will come off.
the trick is finding one that will not effect the vinyl.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Removing paint from dash pad - 01/16/18 03:02 PM

i would use acrylic enamel reducer before trying lacquer thinner. reducer is not as strong of a solvent. don't use reducers designed for urethane paint, they are almost as strong as thinner.
fingernail polish remover is almost the same as enamel reducer.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Removing paint from dash pad - 01/16/18 03:47 PM

Most solvents will damage the vinyl. I had luck at removing paint from dash pads using an "environmentally friendly" paint stripper. I don't recall the brand but I think I found it at Home Depot.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Removing paint from dash pad - 01/16/18 04:51 PM

My entire interior was covered in overspray. Man was I pissed. They could have warned me and I would have taken it out! Anyhow, a product called Spray Nine did the trick.
Posted By: 73cuda340

Re: Removing paint from dash pad - 01/20/18 12:19 AM

Ok thanks, Ill try the spray nine.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Removing paint from dash pad - 01/20/18 05:51 PM

spray nine will absolutely remove paint. but using it for over 40 years, i have found it also removes dyes and other markings you may not want to remove. it also attacks some plastics, so it may be wise to test it on an inconspicuous place before proceeding. also, i have found it best to go sparingly when using it full strength, as it can cause splotchy places in the color because more, or less, nine was applied to the area when cleaning.
beer
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Removing paint from dash pad - 01/21/18 01:30 AM

Are you in a hurry? The plastic in a dash pad will leach it's own solevent which will lift the paint as well.

How long will it take? 6 month to 20 years.

I suggest waiting as long as possible then using the least potent solevent and brush as possible. I like kerosene.
© 2024 Moparts Forums