Moparts

electric fuel pump set up

Posted By: mopar muscle7271

electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 06:39 AM

Im putting a mr.gasket 95a psi electric fuel pump on a 71 dart with a 440.which would be a better spot to mount the inner fender or by the gas tank?do you really need the other fuel fliter they recommend?how do you wire it up to?
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 07:08 AM

electric fuel pumps are pusher and not suckers....put it near the gas tank
Posted By: Morty426

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 07:15 AM

The pump should come with instructions, but these are the rules of thumbs I follow.

Mount the pump as close to the tank as possible. It should be located below the level of the tank pick up.

Wire it from the accessory circuit to an on/off switch (located where you can reach it in case of emergency while driving) to the pump.

Add the additional filter.

Install a pressure regulator depending on your induction setup

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 08:35 AM

Well mr.gaskets #95p doesnt require a regulutor.there no room near the fuel tank.only room at the bottom of inner fender.unless send me pics of setup.has anyone mounted in the inner fender with no problems.if mounted where the tank is how are you suppose to wire it to the oil pressure switch if mounted clear by tank?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 08:55 AM

Mount it in between the right rear corner of the gas tank and the inner sub frame up I
I installed my Magnafuel Pro star 275 pump there on my 1971 duster, plenty of room there scope
You will need to reroute the pick up feed line to the pump and extend the line to the front, easy peasy whistling
AKA aside, it is worth mounting it back there and redoing those lines, maybe go with a 3/8 pick up and 3/8 lines to the pump and carb at the same time work up
Good luck, let us know what you do thumbs

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By mopar muscle7271
Well mr.gaskets #95p doesnt require a regulutor.there no room near the fuel tank.only room at the bottom of inner fender.unless send me pics of setup.has anyone mounted in the inner fender with no problems.if mounted where the tank is how are you suppose to wire it to the oil pressure switch if mounted clear by tank?

There should be room near the rear of the gas tank. It depends on how big your exhaust is.

Why do you want to wire it to the oil switch?

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 02:45 PM

According to the instructions it said wire to the oil pump switch.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 03:11 PM

These should be the installation instructions for your pump.

https://www.carid.com/images/mr-gasket/fuel-systems/pdf/95p-installation-instructions.pdf

If you read Step 1 where you mount the pump should be obvious.
Back by the tank.

Wiring it into the oil sender wire would be optional, not required.
The reason why it would be wired in would be so that if you lost oil pressure it would cut off the electric fuel pump stopping the engine.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 03:27 PM

Forget that. You should be paying attention faster than an idiot switch. Install a manual switch for if something else goes wrong.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 03:32 PM

What are the risks of not mounting it by the tank and only the added fliter behind tank?i have seen cars where they mounted pump to the inner fender.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 03:35 PM

You're working the pump harder and it will wear out sooner.

It will probably have a harder time delivering the fuel volume too.

Mount it in the back by the fuel tank like you're supposed to. twocents

Just because someone else did it wrong doesn't make it okay for you to do it wrong.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/15/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426

Forget that. You should be paying attention faster than an idiot switch. Install a manual switch for if something else goes wrong.

So you are in an accident and you are knocked out. Now when are you going to hunt for the manual off switch? Mean while the fuel pumps are running full bore. Get a good oil pressure activated switch and wire it in the circuit. Good insurance in more ways than one!

I have my pumps wired to switches that have a momentary side, center off, on. I have the momentary side hooked up to by-pass the oil switch so that I can fill the carbs before I try to start the car. After I have the bowls filled I switch them to the on position and let the oil switch take care of it from there. Very simple. Also use a relay to the pump. Especially if you have the battery located in the trunk.

Oh by the way I also wired my MSD hot wire to the oil switch. Oil pressure dies and it kills my ignition.
Posted By: 383man

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/16/18 04:50 AM

I ran the Holley red pump for many years that needs no regulator as its preset to about 6 to 7 psi. I also found it was hard to actually mount it lower then the stock tank pick-up. So I mounted it right in front of the gas tank close to the sending unit outlet. I also always put a small amount of eng oil in any new Holley pump when I used them so it would not spin dry at all. I have ran the red pump like that for 21 years in my sons Dart and ran one in my 63 for 6 years until I went to the black pump. The pump primed with no problem and has never given me any problem at all. I would not say my pump is lower then my tank pick-up but its real close to the sending unit outlet that's in the front of my stock tanks and has worked fine all these years set up like that. I can say my pump sits even with the stock tanks sending unit outlet fuel tube. Its really tuff to try and find a good place to mount a fuel pump lower then the stock tank pickup since the sending unit pick up should be on the bottom of the tank. So I mounted mine where it is and it has always worked fine. I have never run a fuel cell on my cars as I have always had stock gas tanks and I always have run Holley electric fuel pumps because they have worked great for me. I also agree that wireing you electric pump through the oil pressure switch is a good idea. Ron

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/16/18 06:03 AM

Could you send me a pic of how you have it mounted in front of the tank?you have the other fuel fliter right next to it?
Posted By: 62SAVOY

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/16/18 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By 70HemiGTX
Originally Posted By Morty426

Oh by the way I also wired my MSD hot wire to the oil switch. Oil pressure dies and it kills my ignition.

Same way I did my setup to kill the MSD. Used oil pressure switch to a relay that is also to a light on my dash. If you are racing and do not have you face looking at the gauges or see the red light? Death will result. I have mine setup to turn light on and kill engine. Boss told me about killing pump is not really a good idea with carbs. I have 2 two 750 double pumpers on my engine and I can guarantee you that thing will run for awhile if you just killed pump only. I also have rocker switches for my pumps to kill them. BUT things do happen when racing or running hard and you may not see it until major issues happens to be able to flip them off.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/16/18 02:37 PM

I won't be racing it at the dragstrip.it be more of just taking it to carshows on the weekends.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/16/18 07:57 PM

Do it right or don't do it at all. The Mr. Gasket instructions are quite specific. http://documents.holley.com/mr_gasket_electric_fuel_pumps_instructions_95p_105p_130p_2015.pdf

It's a GRAVITY FEED pump meaning it isn't designed to suck fuel. Mount it back near the fuel tank. Closer the better. Mount it so the inlet is lower than bottom of the tank if possible.

It is a vane type pump and the vanes will wear or break if they get crap in them from the fuel tank. You need the filter between tank and pump. Normally I would never do this but on a vane type pump it will help keep the vanes intact.

They say wire through a relay which means to me that it will draw a bunch of current. I'd leave the oil pressure switch out. To the uninformed, there are aftermarket oil pressure switches set at 15psi or thereabouts which DO turn off the pump before a regular oil light would come on. I would put an on/off switch somewhere so you can turn the pump off as a primitive antitheft device.

The literature says 7psi output which is too high for Carter, Edelbrock and Quadrajet carbs. It's on the edge for a Holley. I'd use a regulator without a return line to knock down the pressure.

R.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/17/18 05:19 AM

Well any pics of electric pump set up on a car would be nice to see.I'll be using a 850 mighty demon carb.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/17/18 06:16 AM

Could you send me a pic of how you have it mounted in front of the tank?you have the other fuel fliter right next to it?

I don't have any pics of it as I will have to go out in the garage and jack my car up to get under and take a pic. If its not to cold tomorrow I will go out and crank up the heat and see if I can get a pic for you. And yes I have a filter mounted right there also as I use my filter there before the pump and a stock metal filter in the line up by the carb which I think I have a pic of that one by the carb. You can see the fuel filter I use up front on the pass fenderwell right before the fuel press regulator. Ron

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/17/18 06:40 AM

Mine is in mounted on the forward wall of the axle tunnel, with a canister filter in front of it. Any older car has plenty of room there. Mine is slightly above the pickup, but I have not had issue. I also run a bypass line with a one way check valve around it, as I also have a mechanical pump and only use the electric for priming or at the track. The mechanical pulls around it when it’s not on. It should also be wired with a relay.

I fabricated a bracket and mounted the pump and filter to it and pre-wired it. Then just had to mount the bracket. It made the process much easier and I then knew without a doubt that the plumbing was tight and well fit. The relay is mounted on the arm of the bracket you can’t see here. I drew power from the switched side of the battery cutoff,

I see the OP has asked about mounting it in the engine bay on the inner fender.... don’t do that. Just because you’ve seen someone else do it doesn’t mean you should copy their mistake. The pump will wear out fast because it’s not designed to pull and you’re exposing it to the heat of the engine compartment.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/17/18 07:11 AM

Thanks that be cool,im no hurry for it.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/17/18 02:03 PM

I have mine mounted on the inside of the rear frame rails along side the fuel cell. I have filters mounted to the rear frame crossmember between the cell and pumps. As you can see the pumps are lower than the cell, so I have gravity feed. I have the relays inside the trunk and run the main feed off the battery cut-off switch. I have the switches in the dash and plummed through the oil pressure cut-out switch (Holley if I remember correctly). It only takes about a 3 amp fuse for at the switches. Wire it as safely as you possibly can!

Attached picture 20180101_095943_resized.jpg

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/17/18 02:41 PM

I never would never wire the on/off switch like that.it should be wired underneath the dash.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/17/18 03:02 PM

I never would never wire the on/off switch like that.it should be wired underneath the dash.

Not sure who your replying to...

If it was this reply, maybe you should read what he said.

Quote:
70HemiGTX
I have mine mounted on the inside of the rear frame rails along side the fuel cell. I have filters mounted to the rear frame crossmember between the cell and pumps. As you can see the pumps are lower than the cell, so I have gravity feed. I have the relays inside the trunk and run the main feed off the battery cut-off switch. I have the switches in the dash and plummed through the oil pressure cut-out switch (Holley if I remember correctly). It only takes about a 3 amp fuse for at the switches. Wire it as safely as you possibly can!

If you're referring to the switch in the pic it's a battery disconnect which is required at the track if you have a trunk mounted battery.

From your replies, You just might be better off paying someone who actually knows what they're doing to work on your car. whistling

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/18/18 03:41 AM

Ok i know people who still have that switch by there dash frame to.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/18/18 09:27 AM

Ok i know people who still have that switch by there dash frame to.

Then you know people who don't know how to properly wire things on a car.

Copying them would be a very bad idea, unless you want to show us how Darwinism really works. whistling

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/19/18 10:24 AM

Sorry as we got snow yesterday so it may be a few days before I can try and get a pic for you. Ron

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/20/18 03:36 AM

Ok no rush ,whenever you have a chance to.
Posted By: geo.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/20/18 05:37 AM

Lots of good info. here!
My '70 Challenger was set up with the Holley blue pump ABOVE the fuel cell, on its side in the trunk. The previous owner built it this way, I've had the car 20 years, and the pump finally needed a new check valve this year. Do I recommend this? NO! but it has worked fine for a long time. If I was starting from scratch I'd try to lower the pump, but if it aint broken.....

Back in the late '70s a friend put a delco pump in the engine compartment of his Barracuda, worked fine 'till it heated up and then car would starve for fuel, DON'T put it there!
Find a spot as close to the tank as you can.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/28/18 07:04 PM

were you ever able to get a pic of your electric fuel pump setup?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/28/18 08:17 PM

Just mount it near the fuel tank like everyone said already twocents
All cars and exhaust systems are different so you will have to figure the best place for your application. I mounted mine on the right rear frame rail but if you have a full exhaust that might not work for you. shruggy

Gus

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/28/18 08:41 PM

I don't have exhausts i got turn downs at the end of the mufflers.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/28/18 10:44 PM

Did you Google images of this project? There are hundreds of pictures showing how to mount them.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 12:44 AM

All wire-cables should be as short as possible when carring a lot of amps, wire that pump to a regular starter relay, mounted in the trunk, then just run a ground wire to the dash switch, no amps, no power loss. I put my pump-pumps-filter behind the fuel cell or tank on RACE cars, If just going to shows, a regular engine fuel pump will be enough, why a noisy electric?

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 02:22 AM

I need a electric pump givin it gas at all times.i tried a regular pump,couldn't get no gas anymore goin to carb.the Pump was new as well. i had to put a air compressor hose down the tank with compressor on to give it gas at all times.l like the sound of a electric pump. Im running a 850 demon mighty carb to.they need alot of gas,so it doesn't starve for fuel.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 04:05 AM

I need a electric pump givin it gas at all times.i tried a regular pump,couldn't get no gas anymore goin to carb.the Pump was new as well. i had to put a air compressor hose down the tank with compressor on to give it gas at all times.l like the sound of a electric pump. Im running a 850 demon mighty carb to.they need alot of gas,so it doesn't starve for fuel.

Not being rude but you got big problems somewhere, the NASCAR guys used a mechanical pump and ran 200 mph on 800 hp engines, never had a problem keeping their carb full.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 04:17 AM

I have seen a cable driven mechanical fuel pump feed a 2500+ HP supercharged motor shruggy

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 04:27 AM

Its my car i can put a electric fuel pump on if i want to,i ask how to set one up.not to told to put a junk pos stock mechanical pump on.further more i have no big problems somewhere.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 05:42 AM

Bolt a plate big enough to hold the fuel pump to the frame rail in a safe location between the rear axle and the tank. You can power the fuel pump through an ignition hot power source, but it won't run the pump until the ignition switch is in the rum position. That is the way I run mine. Powered this way, the pump will run whenever the key is in the run position. If you wreck the car, turn off the ignition switch. If you set the power source up with a relay and ground the relay through the oil pressure switch, the pump won't run until the motor has oil pressure, and it won't run if you loose oil pressure, a pretty good safety feature.

Mount the pump so it is below the fuel line coming out of the tank, then have the electric fuel pump mount mounted so that then inlet (coming from the tank) on the pump is slightly below the level of the outlet. What this will do is assure the inlet is covered with fuel as soon as it is turned on. If there is fuel the pump can pick up, having fuel at the inlet upon powering the pump will allow the pump to pull the fuel into the pump. A pump without defects will last a long time. Gene

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 01:35 PM

Sounds more like you need either a new gas tank, pick-up, fuel line, or maybe even all 3. If you needed to use compressed air to get gas to your carb., an electric pump will not do it for you. By using the compressed air, you pressurized your gas tank, forcing the gas out the easiest exit. How much psi did you use to get gas to flow? Yes you need to mount your fuel pump below the tank, BUT from your tank to the pump is gravity feed. You will starve your electric pump if you do not have a full flow of fuel to the pump.

Do what you want. Guys on here are just answering YOUR question and pointing out problems that you could possibly run into. Simply because they have seen or had these problems sometime in life.

Have fun!

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 03:28 PM

I don't need all three your full of crap.it was working good the pump then stop working.i clean the tank out and sealed it.some of you over act.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 04:06 PM

I don't need all three your full of crap.it was working good the pump then stop working.i clean the tank out and sealed it.some of you over act.

Maybe you don't actually have a clue of what you're doing.

If you have to pressurize the tank to get fuel up to the front there's a problem.

You say you've cleaned and coated the tank.
Well then either the sending unit(tank pick up) or the fuel line has a restriction in them.

Putting on am electric pump won't fix that.

You ask people what they think, then argue with their replies on how to fix your car. realcrazy

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 06:53 PM

No i have a clue,there replies are full of bs,just like yours to.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 07:02 PM

If you are so sure then why bother asking for advise. Just go ahead a do what you want. Then come back and tell us how that worked out for you. As for BS some of the guys answering you have worked on these cars longer than you have been alive.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 07:31 PM

When a fuel pump goes bad,its obvious i had a bad pump.i can check my pick up line and sending unit.i know for a fact there is nothing wrong with them.when i clean my tank out and sealed the inside of it i put a new sending unit in as well to.
Posted By: Von

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 08:16 PM

Looks one of the facebook mopar "experts" found his way to Moparts..

Prob one of the same guys trying to clown the 600HP FAST motor for sale on one of the fb forums....

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 08:50 PM

Call Worman at JYC, he'll fix you up, very knowledgable.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 09:22 PM

Have fun.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/29/18 10:51 PM

No i have a clue,there replies are full of bs,just like yours to.

With every reply that you make you prove a little more to everyone on here that you have no idea what you're doing working on a car.

If you actually want to fix the problem, listen to what the people on here recommend that you do.

Just because you have a new sending unit doesn't mean that there isn't a problem (restriction) with it.

From your description there's a restriction keeping the fuel from getting to the engine.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 12:33 AM

I almost believe our collective leg is being pulled.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 06:07 AM

A
Posted By: stumpy

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 06:41 AM

we know who the troll is and he came here asking for help and seems to know it all and won't bother to listen to good advice. Just wants to runs his mouth. Dude give it a rest.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 07:15 AM

You give it a rest,to the ones who said where to mount the pump and how thanks.the others are useless bs trolls with worthless advice who like to agrue.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 08:19 AM

You give it a rest,to the ones who said where to mount the pump and how thanks.the others are useless bs trolls with worthless advice who like to agrue.

So says the troll. laugh2

You've been told where to mount the pump, just in front of the fuel tank in the area near the rear axle.
StealthWedge67 even posted a pic of his set up.

You kept going on about wanting to mount it in the engine compartment, even after people told you not to mount it there.

You bash people who said you could run a mechanical pump.
No one said stock pump they said mechanical pump, there is a difference.
I ran a carter mechanical fuel pump on the 572 Hemi with two 750 carbs on it in my last car and didn't have fuel supply issues.
Original tank, new sending unit and new 3/8ths fuel line.

You said
Quote:

If you have to pressurize the tank to get fuel to flow out of it there's a problem that an electric pump isn't going to cure.

If you don't understand it by now, I can't draw a picture on here with crayons so that you can understand it any better.

Take your car to someone who's an adult and qualified to work on your car, obviously you're not. whistling
Posted By: moparx

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 06:01 PM

if an air supply is needed to pressurize the tank to get fuel to the carb, just get one of those hand pumps that were used extensively in pre-ww2 hot rods. .............. biggrin i'm not an expert, as i have only been playin' with this junk since 1959 with my grandpa.
beer

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 08:29 PM

Getn better than a soap opra

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 08:45 PM

So funny i forgot to laugh,how dumb.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 08:49 PM

Im not bashing anyone who does,i see a mechanical pump is another name for the high volume fuel pump.

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/30/18 11:00 PM

Nobody and I mean nobody of this Mopar site wants to see you or your car fail. We want it to be top notch to show off that Mopar, everything that's been said to help your car is true so please believe us when we ask questions or make suggestions.
There are many many years of experience and knowledge on here, let us help.
Posted By: Von

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/31/18 12:10 AM

Im not bashing anyone who does,i see a mechanical pump is another name for the high volume fuel pump.
🤔. Huh??

Re: electric fuel pump set up - 01/31/18 05:26 AM

Oh ok,saying stuff like I dont have a clue etc was wrong.
© 2024 Moparts Forums