Moparts

can old Cragars be rechromed?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 08:21 PM

I can get a set made in 1972. They have some minor rust where the center meets the hoop.
Is it worth it, or are new Cragars identical?

Thanks,
Joel
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 08:39 PM

You might be better off and cheaper off to have them powder coated in chrome color. I have seen some done and it looks like real chrome!! Wont peel or discolor too! up

Stu
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 08:41 PM

I doubt you'll find a shop willing to do it. I expect even if you do you'll find it makes the cost of new attractive. It's a shame, IIRC, Cragar didn't move production out of the U.S. until ~ 1975? shruggy Went to Brazil then?

Robert
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
Is it worth it

(Wheel&Tire shop right down the street here can do anything you want to an old set of rims...

$$$...
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 08:51 PM

These would be for the Hemi Blues.

Attached picture 7454.jpeg
Attached picture 7876.jpeg
Attached picture images.jpg
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 09:26 PM

Joel, I just bought these brand new from Summit about a year ago. 15 x 4 1/2 with the correct direct bolt pattern. The center caps are definitely not the same at the originals so I changed them out with some nice originals. I have heard that the spokes may be “flatter” on the new Cragars but I cannot verify that.

After taking these photos, I see that I need to take a few minutes and clean the car... It is getting dirty. I have been driving it a lot!

Stan

Attached picture 3E1CC6BE-2434-452F-8FA0-51B3E1D62780.jpeg
Attached picture CA6D63E5-C768-44D7-8D23-E630E32F29F0.jpeg
Attached picture D22DD843-DB9B-4C2B-9B0E-5FE51A2CBA28.jpeg
Posted By: Neil

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 10:51 PM

Too hard to get the chrome down in the seam is the issue. Likely cheaper to buy new ones as chrome plating prices are steep.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 11:23 PM

If it was done originally, why can't it be done again?
I have a set of the 15x4-1/2 that wanted to have done also, just haven't got around to checking. Then get a set of 8 or10" reversed to widen to 14" for the back, nostalgic look.
The powder coating red or gold is an idea though. Black car.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/10/18 11:49 PM

You just cut the center from the outer casing.

Then re chrome both

And last weld them back together. There are steel inserts in the aluminum center that you weld to. This is a common deal.

Description: Before
Attached picture IMG_0807.JPG

Description: After
Attached picture IMG_0809.JPG
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 12:00 AM

You can't imagine what they would charge you.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 02:11 AM

If you decide to go new, I believe that Cragar offers their rims in drilled now so that you don't have to go to Uni-Lug. I have never had any problems with Uni-Lug rims. I just don't like the way they look and they are a much bigger pain to install.

twocents
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 05:59 AM

Check on plating prices first but do it setting down. I got an estimate of $175 for a 64 callout hood ornament. It was in decent shape and didn't need any filling. A friend in Michigan had the five letters (D-O-D-G-E) done for his Charger restoration. He paid $100 each.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 05:20 PM

My Dad bought a set of brand new Cragars for his car a few years ago. Inside of a year they started rusting and this was on a garage kept fair weather driver. Car maybe saw 1,000 miles that year. I don't know if their QC has gotten any better since then.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 06:05 PM

Here's a pretty lengthy thread on the subject: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2362655/1.html
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By autoxcuda

Then re chrome both

And last weld them back together. There are steel inserts in the aluminum center that you weld to. This is a common deal.

Here's a pic of the Cragar center/rim weld. As stated, simply cut the weld and separate the pieces for plating.

Attached picture Wheelweld.jpg
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 08:22 PM

The old centers are also steel. I had old cragers and the whole wheel was rusted and peeling. If you buy new ones. They will also be rusted soon
Iv had ralley wheels powder coated. And the problem is. It's hard the get the seam where hoop and center meet not clump up. And when in the oven it will pop. In order to re chrome. The old has to be removed. Lots of money. And few years will look same if not worse then the wheel you have now
....ya couldn't give me a set of "chrome" wheels
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 09:00 PM

I love Cragar wheels. Yes, they rust if you sneeze near them. I have had mine which I bought used at a flea market in the 80's still look good enough for a driver today. I usually rub wax all over them & let the wax sit on them all winter long & then wipe off in the spring but just realized I did not do that this winter, ooops.

Attached picture IMG_20140928_171443_835 (002).jpg

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 09:26 PM

Cragars where THE wheel back in the day. First thing after buying the car was installing Cragars. Not necessarily in this order but English Leather, Right Guard and Cragars where it.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 09:32 PM

I had my spyder rim centers cut from the outer casing for $20/rim. Then I can detail the centers myslef and have them put new chrome outers on at my preferred backspacing.

It's about $85-100 total with new chrome off the shelf production outers per rim. If I had the centers chrome, that would be a separate extra cost that I would have to handle myself.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/11/18 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Cragrars (sic) where THE wheel back in the day.

They still are to a lot of us dinosaurs. thumbs
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/12/18 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Cragrars (sic) where THE wheel back in the day.

They still are to a lot of us dinosaurs. thumbs

iagree Love the Cragars. I have them on my Cuda today partly because I couldn't afford them in the '70s. But the quality SUX. Then and now.

Did I mention that the quality SUX?
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/12/18 02:55 AM

Been thinking of improving the chrome on my Cragers. They were welded up in 1971 to make a stock type rim into a just bigger than 15X12 inch wide rim around 9 1/2 inch inside off set with a stock rear end width. Might look into the power coating way because, Chroming is very expensive were I live because of so many Government Regulations that have come into effect over the years.
Posted By: randavis

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/12/18 10:34 PM

I still have a set of 14" Cragers that I received as a graduation present in 1970. They have some rust after sitting in my garage for 27 years. I hate to send them to the scrapper.
I restored the 1974 Challenger that were on, last year. When it came time to get new tires, I couldn't find hardly any 14" tires, so I bought a new set of 15" Cragers.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/13/18 03:25 AM

I'm krusty, Old & Cheap,
My van is Krusty Old & Cheap.
The Key Stone wheels are krusty Old & Cheap.
shruggy
I just keep things cleaned up and enjoy the ride.
Still get plenty of thumbs up.
up
That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
grin

Attached picture IMG_4012.JPG
Posted By: elmor353

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/13/18 03:51 AM

Tried to get an old set of Cragars rechromed last year. My local guy said he'd do anything but wheels. Said they are too much of a liability and wouldn't subject his guys to that. Still not sure exactly what he meant by that.

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/13/18 03:52 AM

I'll powder coat mine then, anybody have some crusty 15" centers? I looked and I have some old 15x13" steel wheels.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/13/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By MarkM
My Dad bought a set of brand new Cragars for his car a few years ago. Inside of a year they started rusting and this was on a garage kept fair weather driver. Car maybe saw 1,000 miles that year. I don't know if their QC has gotten any better since then.

I see people say this all the time, but I have a set that are 5ish years old now and they look brand new still. My garage has a gravel floor where the car sits.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/13/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By autoxcuda

Then re chrome both

I searched for couple of years somebody locally who wants to make that and nobody wanted... The ones I had were also 6" and wanted to go 7" so just changing the outer ring from any stock steel donor. They were Keystones.

Need to note, that could have being cheaper than buy and ship overseas, that's the reason to find soomebody locally to modify the ones I found used down here. I finally gave up.
Posted By: GY3

Re: can old Cragars be rechromed? - 01/13/18 10:36 PM

This guy is local to me.

Everything is sprayed with a gun. The end product is amazing!

https://g.co/kgs/YhRL6w
© 2024 Moparts Forums