Moparts

Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block

Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block - 01/07/18 07:27 PM

I've seen stock iron heads that have "wide" rocker stands (top pic) & "narrow, machined" rocker stands (bottom pick).

1. Do any year stock rockers/shafts fit on either style of rocker stands?
2. What are some decent quality aftermarket, stock-style rockers that aren't too expensive?

THANK YOU!

Attached picture 440 wide rocker stands pic.jpg
Attached picture 440 narrow rocker stands pic.jpg
Posted By: ahy

Re: Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block - 01/08/18 04:19 AM

Stock steel rockers for FT hydraulic cam - like the ones linked below - will fit stock and stock replacement heads. Generally good to .5" lift and matching springs. I do not think width of the pedestals matters but not sure.

Can you share some specifics on your heads, cam and combo?

http://www.manciniracing.com/mararoarmset1.html
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block - 01/08/18 05:11 AM

Measure the widths of the stands on both sets of heads and compare the widths and go from there scope
As far as what is decent quality rocker arms and shafts it depends on what your going to use them for and the cam lift and RPM twocents
Tell us a little more info on your build and intended use so we can help you and not mislead you down the wrong path work
BTW, the stock stamped steel rocker arms can vary in the ratio from 1.38 to 1.52, depending on how much wear and which vendor supply the rockers that year puke
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block - 01/08/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By ahy
Stock steel rockers for FT hydraulic cam - like the ones linked below - will fit stock and stock replacement heads. Generally good to .5" lift and matching springs. I do not think width of the pedestals matters but not sure.

Can you share some specifics on your heads, cam and combo?

http://www.manciniracing.com/mararoarmset1.html

I haven't got the heads yet, but I'm building a close-to-stock 2nd engine for my car on a budget. I plan to run iron heads (452's or similar unleaded-friendly seats), open chamber, and the stock (or stock-style) non-adjustable rockers & a .470"-.480" lift range cam (just larger than stock).... think "Hemi-grind" purple shaft.

The reason I ask is that on my current motor, I have the "wider", non-machined rocker stands ('71 heads I believe/top picture) and when I put on Isky adjustable rockers, I had to take a file to the rocker stands for clearance to get the rockers to line up over the valves properly.

I'm just wondering if I'd run into a problem with stock rockers if I buy the heads from one guy and rockers/shafts from someone else. I haven't run non-adjustable rockers arms in 20+ yrs., so I really don't know.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block - 01/08/18 10:54 PM

I've never seen interference in bb heads using stock type rocker arms, as you're wanting to use as well. The tabs on retainers under rocker hold down bolts do the locating. The rocker base(stands) usually are far enough away.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block - 01/09/18 12:48 AM

I went with

Sealed Power R - 828
Sealed Power R - 829

Sealed Power Shaft RS - 612
© 2024 Moparts Forums