Moparts

Factory paint the back of the engine?

Posted By: grancuda

Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/07/18 05:37 AM

Trying to determine if this engine has been rebuilt & I've never noticed the back of a engine painted, is this typical? This is a '72 360 & I am going to put core plugs in & clean it up just trying to determine if it's been into.

Attached picture IMG_3773.JPG
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/07/18 05:42 AM

Automatic transmission block applications will have some over spray.

Manual transmission block applications had the bell housing mounted before paint.
Posted By: geo.

Re: Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/07/18 05:47 AM

That's been my experience too, no paint on the transmission side.
See if it still has stock head gaskets, usually you can see the edge of the gskt.
Posted By: grancuda

Re: Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/07/18 06:01 AM

Looks like the motor was painted with the flex plate & torq converter hooked up.

Would the head gaskets be steel shim gaskets?

The motor is from a 70k mile truck strong running 360, pretty uniform compression & clean plugs.

All I am planning on doing is pulling the oil pan, the timing cover assy. off & checking timing chain slack & putting new water pump/gaskets/core plugs.

Also adding an aluminium intake, someone put a early '80's quadrajet intake/carb & I have a new Holley SA 670 off my '67 Barracuda I only ran a month or so.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/07/18 11:24 AM

Bolt heads is what I look at Grancuda to see if something has been opened up. twocents
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/07/18 05:00 PM

I would agree that it looks like factory paint. Any signs of paint on the distributor or clamp?
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/07/18 05:31 PM

Back of my 1969 340 block with factory paint still on. It is a 4 speed car.

Attached picture 100_3292.JPG
Posted By: geo.

Re: Factory paint the back of the engine? - 01/11/18 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By grancuda
Looks like the motor was painted with the flex plate & torq converter hooked up.

Would the head gaskets be steel shim gaskets?

The motor is from a 70k mile truck strong running 360, pretty uniform compression & clean plugs.

All I am planning on doing is pulling the oil pan, the timing cover assy. off & checking timing chain slack & putting new water pump/gaskets/core plugs.

Also adding an aluminium intake, someone put a early '80's quadrajet intake/carb & I have a new Holley SA 670 off my '67 Barracuda I only ran a month or so.

You can turn the crank counter clockwise with a breaker bar, after taking out the slack in the normal direction. Observe how far the mark on the balancer moves before the rotor starts to turn. Might save you the trouble taking the cover off.
Not sure when the 360s had steel shim gaskets, sorry. My '85 Ram came with a quadrajet, ran well, but carb wasn't made very well and I was constantly messing with it. Good you've got an option.
© 2024 Moparts Forums