Moparts

aftermarket distributor id

Posted By: moparx

aftermarket distributor id - 01/03/18 05:07 PM

can anyone identify this distributor ? there are no nunbers i could find, and there is no vacuum advance. it was apart when i got it, and someone was cobbling something up, so i don't know what is missing other than advance weights and springs. is this a source unit, or one of those pro-comp or cheapo imported units you see at all the swaps for $39.95 ? Thanks in Advance !
beer

Attached picture PC300021.JPG
Attached picture PC300022.JPG
Attached picture PC300023.JPG
Attached picture PC300024.JPG
Posted By: poorboy

Re: aftermarket distributor id - 01/03/18 09:03 PM

It looks like something designed to replace a Lean Burn, or a computer controlled timing advance dist. Also looks like a modified GM dist pickup module with a Ford cap design. Looks pretty....Where would you ever get a replacement pickup/module? It would be wall art at my place. Gene
Posted By: John Brown

Re: aftermarket distributor id - 01/03/18 09:52 PM

Had a MSD / Autotronics circle track setup used that style pick-up. Might start looking there.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: aftermarket distributor id - 01/04/18 06:48 AM

they are all over ebay....blue..black red cap...your choice

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Mopar-Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge-318-V8-Pro-Billet-Distributor/201864361103?epid=703356360&hash=item2f000db48f:g:83MAAOSwXYtY1DTy&vxp=mtr

Re: aftermarket distributor id - 01/07/18 05:47 PM

one of these days when i have nothing to do [whistling], i'll study this housing to see if i can adapt something to fit inside. it appears to spin freely using bearings, and the housing itself seems to have decent machining, so instead of tossing it, i'll probably waste time trying to make it useful, then toss it anyway. laugh2
beer
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: aftermarket distributor id - 01/07/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By poorboy
It looks like something designed to replace a Lean Burn, or a computer controlled timing advance dist. Also looks like a modified GM dist pickup module with a Ford cap design. Looks pretty....Where would you ever get a replacement pickup/module? It would be wall art at my place. Gene

I'm no expert, but I think poorboy is right. It "looks" like a timing "lockout" distributor similar to a lean burn system where the timing advance is computer controlled. I "think" some guys running blowers/turbos and/or EFI might use this type of distributor. It basically just allows you to set the initial timing and all the advance is controlled by something else (like in the lean burn system)

Re: aftermarket distributor id - 01/07/18 06:17 PM

that may be the right way to approach this thing. i have been thinking about EFI ever since my one buddy conned me into installing an LT1 in his 55 chevy. that deal almost made me bald ! i learned stuff i never wanted to know, but it opened my eyes to a different universe. so off on a tangent i have been.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums