Moparts

odd crank balance question

Posted By: Porter67

odd crank balance question - 12/26/17 11:20 PM

Hi,

Ive a semi rare crank I need to get balanced, its got three slugs in it from prior use of old heavy rods and pistons.

Its gonna need alot of weight removed.

Can they drill on the opposing sides of the mallory or should I grind the welds down and press out the slugs before I take it in.

Two are pressed,welded from the sides, one is from the top.

Thanks.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: odd crank balance question - 12/27/17 12:14 AM

Take it to the shop doing the balancing and let them tell you what needs to be done.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: odd crank balance question - 12/27/17 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By GODSCOUNTRY340
Take it to the shop doing the balancing and let them tell you what needs to be done.

There you go.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: odd crank balance question - 12/27/17 01:59 AM

You can weigh the pistons/pins/rings/locks (if used) on a HF $9.95 digital scale & with a bit of doing, level the rod so you can weigh each end & then figure your bobweight yourself which will cut your balancing bill almost on half. Holler if you want to go further.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: odd crank balance question - 12/27/17 02:23 AM

Thanks, I know I should have them spin it, it just blows its a half days drive there and back.

I know how to get the weights Robert, thanks though.

Its just another cheater motor but in a subtle way, they would have to pull the heads to figure it out more then not.

I want to nut. balance it and ive got the old rods,slugs but it had a 340 cast crank balancer on it (still a steel crank) and im not sure how much weight that is or id compare old vs this new weight.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: odd crank balance question - 12/27/17 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By GODSCOUNTRY340

Having been down the road with Mallory before, this is the best advice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums