Moparts

Rallye dash lighting problem

Posted By: TX91971

Rallye dash lighting problem - 12/20/17 02:41 AM

Have a 71 Cuda with rallye dash and it does not have dash lights. Went to fuse block and no power on either side of the fuse. One wire purple and the other looks like blue with white tracer in the fuse block. Can anyone give me an idea what to check next? Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rallye dash lighting problem - 12/20/17 03:22 AM

dash lights power originates at the on/off switch for them (the headlight switch). Pull the black bakelite connector off of it & jump fire to the female terminal for the dash lights & work downsteam (toward the dash) from there to find the open. www.mymopar.com has diagrams/colors.
Posted By: solarguy

Re: Rallye dash lighting problem - 12/21/17 02:48 AM

Check the instrument panel dimmer switch that's a common problem area.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rallye dash lighting problem - 12/21/17 06:42 AM

^^^ Excellent idea
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Rallye dash lighting problem - 12/21/17 03:22 PM

ok... here is how it goes on 3rd Gens chargers and I'm pretty sure E bodies are the same or similar

input to the dimmer switch comes from the parking light circuit built inside the switch, leaves the headlight switch ( rheostat wheel ) in a tan wire up to fuse box and gets one fuse isolated from the BATT and ACC buss bars, just right a side of the blue wired fuse which is for the ign1 circuit, such as cluster brake light, seatbelt relays if equipped and in some cases, cluster voltage limiters, some other RUN circuit accesories.

once reach this fuse, leaves the fuse box in a orange wire and this is the wire which is spreaded up everywhere ( cluster, shifter lettering, radio faceplate, cigar lighter light, acc switches, AC/heater control switch face ).

What you can make to check ?

feed the tan wire side of the fuse with a jumper wire from the batt side buss bar. Lights should come on full. This will mean the fuse and the orange circuit is OK and the source is not sourcing. This could meant the switch is damaged OR the rheostat dimmer wheel. Headlight switch is not feeding the rheostat circuit from inside OR point/ring what feeds the rheostat is dirty or rheostat itself is damaged, sulfated.

another point to check... are you getting parking lights ? if not, time to check also this fuse. As mentioned the dimmer circuit is feeded from this same circuit

This is a checking for integrated dimmer wheel on headlight switch, such as A bodies, 71 and lates B bodies. Of course Rallye E body is not like that BUT I guess must be kinda similar on how they are wired and work. Just the dimmer wheel is not part of the switch assembly, but must be feeded the same from headlight switch with a wire from it
Posted By: TX91971

Re: Rallye dash lighting problem - 12/22/17 12:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the help not ignoring just busy and not working on the car much as Christmas is here. Here is what I know all lights work on the car
other than the dash lights and dome light. Upon looking at the fuse block I see a violet wire cumming out the the fuse block on one end the of the fuse and the other I see a dark blue with white tracer small gauge wire coming out. Here is a question can it just be the dimmer switch? Or is it the headlight switch. Or should I replace both? Thanks
Posted By: DarrenS

Re: Rallye dash lighting problem - 12/22/17 12:32 AM

One of the screws that holds the cluster is also the ground for the dash lights. Make sure all the screws are in...

edit: Sorry, that probably does not help with no power.
© 2024 Moparts Forums