Moparts

High voltage charging

Posted By: z70dodge

High voltage charging - 12/13/17 03:03 AM

I moved the battery of my 70dodge to the trunk the same time I swapped out my 6 cylinder for a 318. Any reason why when I test at the battery now it's off the charts charging it? I got an adjustable voltage regulator but I think this is not solving the problem just masking it? Any thoughts? Would moving the battery cause this?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: High voltage charging - 12/13/17 03:09 AM

yes if the cables are too small/and or poor connections. fastest check would be to take the battery back up front & jump it to the block/starter relay & see if thing straighten out. otherwise I would check the voltage drops at the alt/reg & at the battery.
Posted By: z70dodge

Re: High voltage charging - 12/13/17 03:15 AM

Will do! You thank you! Going to do that now.....
Posted By: 383man

Re: High voltage charging - 12/14/17 08:03 AM

What is the voltage reading at the battery ? How high is it reading ? Ron
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: High voltage charging - 12/14/17 08:23 AM

It's the amps that you should worry about. The voltage on my battery charger shows 16V on a 12V battery when it is nearly charged and taking less than 5 amps? After the charger shuts off it shows almost 14V.
Posted By: 383man

Re: High voltage charging - 12/14/17 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
It's the amps that you should worry about. The voltage on my battery charger shows 16V on a 12V battery when it is nearly charged and taking less than 5 amps? After the charger shuts off it shows almost 14V.

Yes but because the OP said its Off the Chart it would be nice to know just what he read. And the voltage reg controls the alt output (amps) by measuring the voltage at its terminal from the blue wire on an electronic reg. But I am curious what the OP checked to see it as off the chart ? Ron
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: High voltage charging - 12/14/17 08:53 AM

I hear ya Ron! Definitely need to know what kind of charts we're talking about. Battery type and voltage? Adjustable regulator? I don't think too small of a gauge wire would be a cause. I think the wire would get hot if anything.
© 2024 Moparts Forums