Moparts

arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght

Posted By: moparpro

arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/12/17 06:19 PM

weiand intake 383 eng.stock heads.thanks
Posted By: AndyF

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/12/17 06:33 PM

Depends on how thick the manifold is. Rule of thumb is that you want at least 1.5 diameters of thread engagement. So the thread should stick out of the manifold by more than 1/2 inch so you get full engagement in the head.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/12/17 07:29 PM

check the depth of the intake thread on head, check them all, do the average add in the thickness of the manifold and there you have it. I didn't do this on my SB Indy heads and ended up having to cut most of them down. had different depths on the taps.

Thanks Indy!!
Posted By: bee1971

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/12/17 07:33 PM

Factory Intake Bolts For 1970/1971 383 Magnum

3/8" 16

1 11/16" Length

I am running the Weiand Intake on my 383 Magnum with Edelbrock Heads

Using ARP Black Intake Bolts 6 Head Hex - Part # 144-2001

Can measure exact length when i get home if needed as they give you 12 bolts when only 8 are needed
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/12/17 07:42 PM

Oh for christ sake, if you cannot figure out what length intake bolt you need you should A. take "pro" out of your moniker and B. start playing with legos.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/12/17 08:02 PM

SC, you have exceeded your snark quota for the day.

OP, you could unfold a paper clip, mock up the setup, and measure the hole directly. If it dead-ends, it's easy. If it's open on the back end, make a small hook in the end of the wire and hook it on the bottom before making your mark on the wire.

I can understand wanting to have high quality fasteners, but the intake manifold bolts are one area where even a Grade 2 will suffice.

R.

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/13/17 12:36 AM

cuda sorry to offend you,i am new at this,if you can not help do not say anything at all,have a blessed day.

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/13/17 12:38 AM

bee1971, thank you for helping i appreciate it,when you get a chance would you check the lenght for me.thank you for your time.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/13/17 12:51 AM

Do you have a way to measure(dial calipers maybe) the thickness of the bolt boss on that intake ? If so add 1/2 to 5/8 onto that under the head of the bolt length if your not using washers under the bolt heads scope If your going to use flat washers, my recommendation is to use them always, especially on aluminum intakes up add the thickness of the washers to that length up
All the stock cast iron wedge heads I've seen are open on the engine side of the head intake mounting flanges so you can use a longer bolt than is needed with out worrying about it bottoming out up scope
I've use some intake bolts on wedge race motors with worn threads in the heads 1/2 to 1.0 inch longer(1/2 inch or more sticking out of the boss towards the heads up) than needed to get as much thread engagement I could get so they would torque down properly (35 Ft.Lbs.) without adding a Helicoil repair insert shruggy
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/13/17 01:00 AM

Moparpro,

take comments like that with a grain of salt. some guys feel better making fun of others that may just want the answer to make them feel they are on the right track.

You keep asking questions, I know I still do!!!!!!
Posted By: bee1971

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/13/17 01:19 AM

ARP 1 3/4" - Total Length from starting tip to bottom of head

Then they supply a 1/8" thick washer for each bolt

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/13/17 05:35 PM

thank you bee71 for your time and effort.
Posted By: therocks

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/13/17 08:11 PM

Just find a good harware store get some stailess bolts and washers.Use antisieze and install.God its not a part that gets lots of torque like a rod flywheel etc.I did my heads aluminum and M1 intake like 14 years ago.Never had to touch them since.Rocky
Posted By: AndyF

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/14/17 01:54 AM

ARP sells kits. Try 444-2001 or 444-2101. Best way to find this stuff is to go to Summit Racing and search for what you want.
Posted By: ahy

Re: arp intake bolts for aluminum intake what lenght - 12/14/17 03:39 AM

I use the bolts from an ARP kit on my low deck (M1 Manifold). Fit is fine. I got the kit in black oxide from Mancini.
© 2024 Moparts Forums