Moparts

Petronix on a dual point distributor

Posted By: Moparnut426

Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/12/17 05:41 PM

Is there a kit, or what is there out there to convert a dual point distributor on a 440
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/12/17 05:46 PM

Have you thought about calling, and asking them?

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/12/17 06:00 PM

they don't list one so I figured it wasn't available

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/12/17 06:03 PM

well today I google it and see a listing

sorry guys
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/12/17 06:31 PM

^^^ that's good news.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/13/17 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By Moparnut426

sorry guys

The kit will work but you will have to open the one mounting slots about .010 and you will also be one wire off on the cap.

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/13/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

sorry guys

The kit will work but you will have to open the one mounting slots about .010 and you will also be one wire off on the cap.

So I just will have to move the wires 1 terminal closkwise or counter clockwise, and why would changing the guts make that difference? The distributor shaft and rotor aren't physically changed.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/14/17 05:54 AM

Why do it to a dual point? You can get a Chrysler electronic one cheap enough. Or convert a single point prestolite if you want the cast distributor look. I will trade you one. :-)

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/14/17 06:05 AM

sorry guys

So I just will have to move the wires 1 terminal closkwise or counter clockwise, and why would changing the guts make that difference? The distributor shaft and rotor aren't physically changed.

Because after relocating the mounting hole it changes the position of the pick up coil enough that you have to change wires orientation.

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/14/17 06:08 AM

sorry guys

Because after relocating the mounting hole it changes the position of the pick up coil enough that you have to change wires orientation.I've done enough to know.

Attached picture P6270573-001.JPG

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/14/17 03:17 PM

Great!!

Thanks
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/17/17 04:37 PM

A few months back I tried to convert my small block dual point to a Pertronix with no luck. I bought two different units, but in both cases the mounting holes did not align up with the threaded holes in the breaker plate. The first one I ordered from Summit was based on the listed application. When that one did not work I called Pertronix. They told me to return it for the correct one part number which they provided. Only to find out that the next one also had mounting issues. I called Pertronix again and they told me that I would now have to modify the unit to make it fit. I have had enough at that point and just returned the unit for a refund.

Attached picture 100_4326.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/17/17 05:02 PM

just me I'd redrill the hole(s) either in the dist plate or the P plate but with vac adv shifting the plate you'd sure wanna get things correct so the gap stays in a good range thruout the travel but understood that it should be a bolt in in the first place.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/18/17 06:05 PM

When I sent that photo to pertronix they told me to open up the mounting holes in the Ignitor mounting plate in order to mount it. I then said what about the gap. They then said "Oh yeah....you want it to be about .060".
The one that they told me to buy for my 69 340 Prestolite dual point was the one that was listed for the Gen I Hemi.

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/18/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By rarefish
When I sent that photo to pertronix they told me to open up the mounting holes in the Ignitor mounting plate in order to mount it. I then said what about the gap. They then said "Oh yeah....you want it to be about .060".
The one that they told me to buy for my 69 340 Prestolite dual point was the one that was listed for the Gen I Hemi.

The gap is why you have to change the plug wire orientation,they probably didn't tell you that.
Posted By: Kowal

Re: Petronix on a dual point distributor - 12/19/17 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By dragon slayer
Why do it to a dual point? You can get a Chrysler electronic one cheap enough. Or convert a single point prestolite if you want the cast distributor look. I will trade you one. :-)

I bought a single point from Rock Auto, made sure to paint the housing black as it would have been, then did the Petronix conversion. Works great, looks great as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums