Moparts

Steering Wheel Vibrates Only Idle In D

Posted By: YO7_A66

Steering Wheel Vibrates Only Idle In D - 12/10/17 05:17 AM

70 Challenger: steering wheel has a mild vibration only at idle in D at a stop. Driving, all is smooth no matter the speed.
If I have my hand on the wheel at a stop, I can feel the vibration. If I let go of the wheel at idle in D, the wheel vibrates.
What should I look for?
No knocks, no noises.
Engine mounts, loose steering unit? Do I need a rubber insulator on the steering column?

Thanks!
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates Only Idle In D - 12/10/17 05:51 AM

Way to little information. What engine, and trans, have you done a leak down, or compression test? Has it been tuned up in the past 20 years?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates Only Idle In D - 12/10/17 05:58 AM

headers/exhaust hitting the steering box/linkage?

Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates Only Idle In D - 12/10/17 06:22 AM

They don't hit the steering linkage but the passenger side header is close to the torsion bar. I just put the car up on jack stands today for the winter which gives me some more room under the car to check the clearances. I will double check the steering linkage clearance.
Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates Only Idle In D - 12/10/17 06:27 AM

a helper in the car with it idling in drive & brake on. You under the car & see what you see (vibration/touching)

Re: Steering Wheel Vibrates Only Idle In D - 12/10/17 06:33 AM

I have a fifteen year old son that would fit that description. πŸ‘ He is the only other person in my neighborhood who can start this carπŸ˜€ Outside of me.
Thanks Robert
© 2024 Moparts Forums