Moparts

Anyone tub outer wheel well? ('70 E-Body)

Posted By: cudabill

Anyone tub outer wheel well? ('70 E-Body) - 12/04/17 02:22 AM

I'm replacing a quarter panel, first of many panels to replace. I'm planning on a mini tub, but noticed the outer wheel well will prevent tires from filling out the wheel well. I see the factory wheel tubs are structural and are a triangulation point for the inner shell.

How do you tub the wheel wells and maintain structural integrity?
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Anyone tub outer wheel well? ('70 E-Body) - 12/04/17 07:33 AM

I had to make outer tubs for my best friend's 1969 B body convertible. Tried to make the wheelwells look stockISH anyways. Worked well. I would have to dig out pics but I know exactly what you mean. Tire would hit the outer can when car came down over tires
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Anyone tub outer wheel well? ('70 E-Body) - 12/04/17 02:54 PM

With todays tire technology you really do not need a big tire on the car to make it stick. Usually with a Chrysler the problem is with the tire rubbing at the front of the wheel well when using a tall tire. You can always do like the old days and pound out the outer wheel well for some clearance. If you want bigger tires you might have to tub the car and move the frame rails and extend the opening and pull the tubes out or use the stock tubes and put a piece in the middle of the outer and inner tub. To run something like a 14x32 you have to modify a lot of the chassis and panels.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Anyone tub outer wheel well? ('70 E-Body) - 12/04/17 04:26 PM

I haven't tackled this myself yet but read an article and have gathered the pieces. In this case the shop used another pair of inners and used portions of those to get rid of the "hump" in the outers. You only need the top half so I cut them out of a parts car instead of buying new. The article didn't give a whole lot of detail otherwise I'd offer to copy and send it to you. But doing it while you have the quarters off is the way to go. Just make sure you "trial fit" as you go along to make sure the quarter will still clear the tub !!
© 2024 Moparts Forums