Moparts

could Mark Worman leave the gap alone

Posted By: theraif

could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/29/17 10:25 PM

i think he would be panic hehehe

Attached picture tumblr_ozsc7ce8bH1qcdxvpo1_1280.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/29/17 10:36 PM

I assume you're talking about the door to fender gap? That does look really sloppy.

Had I acquired the car I would have done something about it!
Posted By: srt

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/29/17 10:45 PM

I would assume that he's claiming they were not that way from the factory and he's going to make them right?
I didn't know the show was still broadcast.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 03:55 AM

No vinyl top?
Posted By: theraif

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 04:03 AM

yah that door gap hehe
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 06:19 AM

Good example of what most seem to forget...The panel fitment,paint runs,different color shot on the panel before the correct color came through the gun, etc...Have all been erased in the name of "restoration" these days..There's a tendency to correct the unique flaws each vehicle had...
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By screamindriver
Good example of what most seem to forget...The panel fitment,paint runs,different color shot on the panel before the correct color came through the gun, etc...Have all been erased in the name of "restoration" these days..

Imagine all the times a resto owner would have to explain why his fenders fit so lousy after spending a ton of money on it? laugh2

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 06:24 AM

Could the gap been the result of Creative Industries and not Ma Mopar?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 06:40 AM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda

Where ever the gap came from, it was there when delivered. I think that is the point being made.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda

Where ever the gap came from, it was there when delivered. I think that is the point being made.

It's a legitimate question. If you don't care for it then disregard it.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 07:09 AM

Superbirds were built on-line at the Lynch Rd. Detroit, MI B-body assembly plant

modifications were made at Chrysler's Clairpointe "prototype" facility across from the Jefferson Ave. Detroit, MI C-body assembly plant

Creative Industries would be at no fault for this Superbird's panel fit issues

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 07:14 AM

My car has what some people say is an excessive gap at the bottom of door to rocker panel. Both sides of car. Top of doors line up with rear quarter, window trim and front fender. Gap is parallel and the same width on both sides. It's a very early build and certainly was delivered that way, never apart, never wrecked, original paint.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
Superbirds were built on-line at the Lynch Rd. Detroit, MI B-body assembly plant

modifications were made at Chrysler's Clairpointe "prototype" facility across from the Jefferson Ave. Detroit, MI C-body assembly plant

Creative Industries would be at no fault for this Superbird's panel fit issues

Interesting, so Creative did not do any assembly work on Sbirds?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 07:30 AM

Low mile survivor Demon. Factory door to rocker gap. Fat fingers fit right through!

Attached picture Survivor 71 340 Demon Door Gap.jpg
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 08:02 AM

As far as I know creative supplied assembled nosecones to clairpoint, they did not install them. Fenders were installed on the line, before clairpoint.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 08:13 AM

tsk

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 09:50 AM

tsk
Posted By: therocks

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 03:00 PM

Seems people forget that when sold they were cars to drive.Yeah fitment paint etc sometimes left a lot to be desired.I remember going to the dealers when they came in new.Lots of stuff didnt look perfect.The new 66 we had had to go back 3 times for the paint.Rocky
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 03:57 PM

My 71 RR has a gap just like that at the bottom of the door. The bodies flexed, and had to have those kind of gaps.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By 4406bbl
As far as I know creative supplied assembled nosecones to clairpoint, they did not install them. Fenders were installed on the line, before clairpoint.

The only time any "Superbird" (An actual 69 RR was used as the "buck") was at Creative Industries was initial mock up/prototype work

Attached picture birdcreativeprot.JPG
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

The only time any "Superbird" (An actual 69 RR was used as the "buck") was at Creative Industries was initial mock up/prototype work

That would be a great tribute car to build. The 69 RR/Superbird Design exercise car. Even better if the original was dug up.
Posted By: Neil

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Low mile survivor Demon. Factory door to rocker gap. Fat fingers fit right through!

Note the orange peel finish as well. How many people would be happy if they had their car painted and it came back lumpy like that? The contemporary wetsanded and glossy smooth base-clear paint jobs are not what the factory delivered that's for sure.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By Neil

Note the orange peel finish as well. How many people would be happy if they had their car painted and it came back lumpy like that? The contemporary wetsanded and glossy smooth base-clear paint jobs are not what the factory delivered that's for sure.

Agreed! "OCD refurbishment" has been rampant in the restoration hobby the last few decades, ...just like the neatly detailed and tidy/organized engine compartments with "full" paint coverage on all the underhood components/driveline...they never looked that good back at "Day One"
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
No vinyl top?

Look closer, I think maybe it did have a vinyl top.

Bill
Posted By: NANKET

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 05:36 PM

The body of Superbirds were painted at Lynch Road in Enamel. Fenders, hood window plug installed and panted at Lynch Raod. They were missing only the special bird pieces like nose, fender scoops, and wing. As running & driving cars they were sent to clairpoint for these special parts installation, that were painted in lacquer. The paint didn't match too well and didn't hold up to time and elements like the rest of the car.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
My 71 RR has a gap just like that at the bottom of the door. The bodies flexed, and had to have those kind of gaps.

Then why is there such a small gap between the door and 1/4? That area would see more flex then the bottom of the door.
Posted By: MI Mopar Works

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By 340Cuda
Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
No vinyl top?

Look closer, I think maybe it did have a vinyl top.

Bill

ALL Superbirds had a black vinyl top.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 07:37 PM

in simpler times - assembly plant:
#1 - "A" = Lynch Rd. Detroit, MI (PLYMOUTHs)
#2 - "B" = Hamtramck, MI (DODGEs)
#3 - "C" = Jefferson Ave. Detroit, MI (CHRYSLERs/IMPERIALs)

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 07:50 PM

If EVERY Superbird came from the factory with this particular gap issue then I could understand leaving it alone. But they didn't.
To me it's like a loose bolt, or crooked exhaust tip, fix it. Even if only by moving the door forward a bit to lessen the issue.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
The body of Superbirds were painted at Lynch Road in Enamel. Fenders, hood window plug installed and panted at Dodge Main. They were missing only the special bird pieces like nose, fender scoops, and wing. As running & driving cars they were sent to clairpoint for these special parts installation, that were painted in lacquer. The paint didn't match too well and didn't hold up to time and elements like the rest of the car.

here's a good read on Superbird assembly line procedures if interested? http://www.wwnboa.org/patik.htm

Mike
Posted By: dvw

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 11/30/17 11:38 PM

Remember quality back in the day wasn't high priority. Look at some "cold fusion" welds on the uni-body. Every car was different. That being said it's not that big a deal to get the alignment pretty decent. Want it perfect? Weld some tig rod to the edge and then do some metal finishing. All personal taste, just like paint finish. The gap on the car shown could definitely be tightened up with nothing more than some adjustment and maybe a little hole elongation. Personally I like 'em slick. Even my racecar.
Doug

Attached picture DSC_3664.JPG
Posted By: Not_A_Duster

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/01/17 02:19 AM

Yup doors are like that on mine as well. Car had 38000 miles and original paint on it when I got it.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/01/17 05:08 AM

I was surprised at the pic Harms posted, then today, I checked the gap on my car, same thing, fingers easily inserted. Also worth mentioning is the radius of the door corner (behing scotts arthritic middle finger knuckle ;)) is much smaller than the radius of the rocker. It's almost as though the rocker forming dies were not designed with the door frame and skin available. Either that, or extra clearance for body twist in high hp cars?
Posted By: 69superbee383

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/01/17 05:46 AM

My 70 Coronet is original paint 45k mile car I bought from the original owner. When people see the car they comment on the panel fit, visible gaps under the vinyl top or quarter to rocker fit and of course the doors. People are so used to seeing an over restored car they can't believe they came this way from the factory.

But if you wanted to see true fitment and quality issues you should have worked new car prep at the local Plymouth dealer like I did in 77/78. We had the local PD contract for Fury's. What a disaster those things were!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/01/17 06:16 AM

Originally Posted By srt
I was surprised at the pic Harms posted, then today, I checked the gap on my car, same thing, fingers easily inserted. Also worth mentioning is the radius of the door corner (behing scotts arthritic middle finger knuckle ;)) is much smaller than the radius of the rocker. It's almost as though the rocker forming dies were not designed with the door frame and skin available. Either that, or extra clearance for body twist in high hp cars?

These cars were designed by hand on drafting boards. It is actually amazing that the parts fit together as well as they do. The engineers had absolutely no way to build computer models back in the 60's. The best they could do was print blueprints on vellum and lay them on top of each other to see the parts mated up.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/01/17 06:22 AM

Also worth mentioning is the radius of the door corner (behing scotts arthritic middle finger knuckle ;))

I took the picture but not my hand in the door, mine look much worse LOL!
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/05/17 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By theraif
i think he would be panic hehehe

Mark who?

Doesn't everyone know that American reality TV is fake ?

Stop punching the camera, and put down the espresso..
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/13/17 03:01 AM

This is bad! I've seen Scott's fingers. They are like little sausages.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/13/17 04:41 AM

Quote:

Hey! I resemble that remark! LOL!
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/15/17 09:24 PM

Quote:

Hey! I resemble that remark! LOL!

Whatcha got going on in the shop this winter, Scott? I need to come by!
Posted By: moparjohn

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/16/17 04:22 AM

I just spotted this post and can't believe the picture at the start!
This is from my home town of Michiagn City, Indiana. The was the first Superbird I tried to buy from the original owner. Recently there is information that this Superbird was 1 of 5 specially prepared for the auto shows! So if this one was specially prepared it makes the previous comments even worse! This Superbird did have a vinyl top. It was wrecked on the left side of that building before it was sold by someone who hit a utility pole. The first owner also rolled it over in a bad snow storm. Does anyone know where this Superbird is now?
MJ

Attached picture IMG_4068.JPG
Posted By: moparjohn

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/16/17 08:36 PM

So after I thought about this for a while I came up with a question.
Was this picture was taken after the Superbird was wrecked and repaired by the dealership? The damage was to the right front. It would be interesting if there are any auto show pictures of this Superbird out there.
MJ
Posted By: 340mouse

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/18/17 12:05 AM

Just me!, but if it was my Superbird, I would just drive the wheels off of it.!
Posted By: ledft79

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 12/22/17 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By 340mouse
Just me!, but if it was my Superbird, I would just drive the wheels off of it.!
I would love to have a daily driver Superbird with modern suspension and drive train.
Posted By: Stroker

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/11/18 06:26 PM

If he's such a perfectionist, why is the dust trail stripe on the yellow '70 Road Runner where it is?
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/14/18 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By Stroker
If he's such a perfectionist, why is the dust trail stripe on the yellow '70 Road Runner where it is?

Why did he say air conditioning wasn't available with a 440 and an automatic transmission?
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/14/18 08:02 AM

He said no A/C with hemi, or 440 4-speed, but you could get it with an auto.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/14/18 08:16 AM

I'll watch it again, but I rewound it 3-4 times and I'm pretty sure he said it wasn't available with a 440 4-speed, automatic, Hemi, 6-pack or "anything that runs hard". Granted, I was tired, but I don't think I was that tired.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/14/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By OhioMopar

I'll watch it again, but I rewound it 3-4 times and I'm pretty sure he said it wasn't available with a 440 4-speed, automatic, Hemi, 6-pack or "anything that runs hard". Granted, I was tired, but I don't think I was that tired.

I am sure it was a slip of the tongue but what I heard was no A/C with a 440 with automatic.

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/14/18 06:13 PM

I guess he "dissed" those with 383's under the hood as being under powered?...

FYI: the 4spd was available with 383 and AC on some applications

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/15/18 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By 6PakBee

I am sure it was a slip of the tongue but what I heard was no A/C with a 440 with automatic.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Although on one of his pre-commercial quizzes, he did say that stock manifolds made more power than headers...

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/15/18 02:30 AM

I guess he "dissed" those with 383's under the hood as being under powered?...

FYI: the 4spd was available with 383 and AC on some applications

Whatever he said, we know it was 100% correct. That's how he rolls.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: could Mark Worman leave the gap alone - 01/16/18 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
The body of Superbirds were painted at Lynch Road in Enamel. Fenders, hood window plug installed and panted at Dodge Main. They were missing only the special bird pieces like nose, fender scoops, and wing. As running & driving cars they were sent to clairpoint for these special parts installation, that were painted in lacquer. The paint didn't match too well and didn't hold up to time and elements like the rest of the car.

here's a good read on Superbird assembly line procedures if interested? http://www.wwnboa.org/patik.htm

Mike

Great article, thanks for posting that! It mentions in the article
my Dad's job...he worked at the Highland Park offices, in the Product Scheduling Dept. as a computer operator, making the IBM TAB cards with the vehicle VON/VIN info on them. I actually have a few cards from him
stashed away somewhere.
© 2024 Moparts Forums