Moparts

Holley fuel bowl question

Posted By: mopowers

Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 07:36 AM

With a couple carefully drilled holes, can a secondary fuel bowl from a vac secondary Holley 3310 be converted to be used on a 4779 DP? In other words, can you convert a non-accelerator pump fuel bowl to utilize an accelerator pump?

I need a bowl for my old 4779 and have a couple from old 3310's, with associated parts. It looks like the castings have the provisions for the old check ball valves and hold down tabs, but without the holes drilled for the fuel to pass through and threads for the pump diaphragm cover. I have extra check balls hold down tabs, extra pump diaphragm covers, etc. I'm wondering if a drilling a couple holes and tapping the pump cover screw holes can make the pump functional.

Has anyone done this before?
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 07:52 AM

Try it! Standard Holley bowls are relatively cheap. Sounds like you want a DP anyway? I'm sure the bowl, if you had another one to model for the passages and such, would work fine. The linkage may be another story that I'm not familiar with...

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Try it! Standard Holley bowls are relatively cheap. Sounds like you want a DP anyway? I'm sure the bowl, if you had another one to model for the passages and such, would work fine. The linkage may be another story that I'm not familiar with...

I've already got the 4779 DP. Unfortunately, the secondary fuel bowl has stripped needle and seat threads. I have a couple 3310 sec bowls and comparing the two, appears as if they're the same castings, but missing the fuel passages associated with the accelerator pump, and threads for the diaphragm cover of course.

I'm definitely going to try it, since I have the pieces. Just wondering if anyone has done this before?
Posted By: Dr Dave

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 06:01 PM

Thinking, couldn't you repair it with a Heli coil?

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By Dr Dave

I could if I could find a 3/8-32 helecoil. Plus, the kit would likely cost as much as a new bowl. New bowls are only about $45. If this doesn't work, that'll be the route I go.

Thanks
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 06:50 PM

If not in a great hurry look around for a complete used carb that has the bowl you want and then you can get extra parts for a Double Pumper.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 07:19 PM

Check out your local car parts swaps. I usually found carbs for the 5-15 dollar range for parts. Is yours stripped out where the needle and seat threads into? If so, the cause is using a non Holley needle and seat which uses a big brass nut to lock things down. You get these in parts store aftermarket carb kits. The thread pitch is off 1-2 threads from the correct one and will strip out the bowls. Gots to use oe Holley or one of the better companies like Quik Fuel etc to get correct stuff.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 08:45 PM

Helicoil won't last,this is the only permanent fix !!

Attached picture th_MVC-094S.jpg

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

What is that? Where do you get them?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By mopowers
Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

What is that? Where do you get them?

That is a brass or aluminum insert I do myself.

Attached picture P8180501.JPG
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/18/17 11:59 PM

Here's a cheap fix
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Holley fuel bowl question - 11/19/17 05:45 AM

If it doesn't work just get some new Quick Fuel bowls from Summit or if you are strapped for cash send me a PM and I could send you a bowl I have in my collection of junk.
Gus beer

Attached picture bowls.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums