Moparts

Removing motor with K member

Posted By: StrokedW7

Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 05:48 AM

How many people remove the motor with the K frame from the bottom? I'm getting my car painted and I'm just curious if that might be a good way to keep from scratching the car when I get it back.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Posted By: OSDart

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 06:12 AM

That is the preferred method. If you own or have access to a lift(two post) the removal is very easy.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 06:14 AM

Do it once, and you will never want to do it any other way.
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 09:43 AM

Make and use these for the rear wheels and use jack stands for the front. Drop the engine from the bottom the safe way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HHQqGnU5DQ

Attached picture UpontheBoxCribs019_zps2d44ac23.jpg
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 11:09 AM

Uhhhh...How do you get the engine out from the bottom if the front wheels are on the car??? The wheels and suspension are attached to the K member, sir....
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
Do it once, and you will never want to do it any other way.

Agree!!!!

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By OSDart
That is the preferred method. If you own or have access to a lift(two post) the removal is very easy.

I have a two post lift and being i have an Alterkation front end seems like it would be pretty easy.

A couple of dumb questions... What do you set the motor and transmission on? I know I've seen something with wheels that bolts to the front of the car that allows you to still move the car around. Where is the best place to buy something like that? Any other tips, tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 03:03 PM

You need to make a dolly that rest is the rear hole of the k frame and tail shaft of the tranny. I’ve got one. Only way to fly.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 03:13 PM

Done it many times. Like said, you have to make a dolly to rest the k-frame and trans tail shaft on. I just used 2x4's and some casters. I never had access to a lift I did mine by lifting the car and putting the nose on jackstands.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 07:28 PM

I made up a dolly for mine that takes the engine and trans. Have been slipping it in and out for test fits into my car. I have a 4 post lift. If you shoot me a pm with your e-mail, I'll send you some photos. Doing photos here, for me, is too convoluted a process.

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 08:32 PM

I see us car tools makes a dolly and some body castles.

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/18/17 08:34 PM

Why spend that kind of money, just go to harbor freight and get one of the furniture dollies for the motor/trans and use that.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/19/17 04:04 AM

if you remove it from the bottom does it require a complete front end alignment?

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/19/17 04:27 AM

Maybe not, all that is disconnected is the spindle from the upper ball joint. But, I would still have it checked.
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/19/17 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
Uhhhh...How do you get the engine out from the bottom if the front wheels are on the car??? The wheels and suspension are attached to the K member, sir....
Good point Greg, hey, it was late! grin
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/19/17 10:35 AM

Woooo!
Sir "Posts A Lot" makes a boo boo ?
Posted By: sixpackbird

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/20/17 03:20 AM

Some Harbor Fright tire dollys and 3/4" plywood will support the drive train (this is a 383). Be careful where you support the car to not bend the unibody.

Attached picture 7-27-2013 (21A).jpg
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/20/17 07:40 PM

Funny, on the ride into work this AM, I was thinking about how I am going to do this, Was my plan and should be doing in the next couple of months. And the thought that came to mind was how my engine lift legs would probably interfere with the engine rolling under.
Looks like the US Car Tool idea gives you more distance. Allows you to put the legs on the lift all the way out and not have to extend the boom, making it much safer.
http://store.uscartool.com/uni-lift-unibody-front-end-lifting-tool.html
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Removing motor with K member - 11/20/17 11:38 PM

here is the roller assembly I made for my satellite . . .made the plate big enough to rotate 90 deg, so I could then bolt it in place with the legs sticking out front to lift the car with the engine hoist . . . engine/tranny and k member on a car wheel dolly thing . . .

Attached picture IMG-20120829-00255.jpg
Attached picture IMGP0001.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20120829-00254.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20120829-00253.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums