Moparts

Romove bondo from aluminum

Posted By: NANKET

Romove bondo from aluminum - 11/07/17 05:50 AM

Is there a product that will remove approximately 1/8" thick layer of bondo from aluminum? Can't wire wheel or sand it off, will ruin the aluminum underneath.
Paint remover, pine-sol, lacquer thinner, acetone? Thanks for any ideas.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Romove bondo from aluminum - 11/07/17 05:53 AM

Paint stripper like Kleen Strip AR-343 will soften the filler.It may take a couple applications to completely remove then rinse with high pressure water.
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: Romove bondo from aluminum - 11/07/17 04:16 PM

Heat gun.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Romove bondo from aluminum - 11/07/17 05:15 PM

Lacquer thinner softens 'bondo' so that would be my choice. If you can puddle the thinner, great. If not, spread a paper towel over the mud and keep damp. After a bit, scrape with a plastic spreader so you don't gouge the soft aluminum. I use a small spray bottle with thinner, very handy. Heat might warp the aluminum.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Romove bondo from aluminum - 11/07/17 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By RTSrunner
Paint stripper like Kleen Strip AR-343 will soften the filler.It may take a couple applications to completely remove then rinse with high pressure water.

iagree
Posted By: ahy

Re: Romove bondo from aluminum - 11/08/17 02:19 AM

Agree paint stripper will soften it. Aircraft stripper is my choice though I am sure others will work. Apply a heavy coat and cover with plastic to keep it wet. After a few hours, scrape off what you can and repeat if needed.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Romove bondo from aluminum - 11/08/17 06:38 AM

If there's a layer of bondo on the aluminum part chances are it's been sanded for adhesion already so carefully sanding it off won't do any harm...
© 2024 Moparts Forums