Moparts

can flaking clear coat....

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

can flaking clear coat.... - 06/05/08 06:22 PM

be fixed? My 95 dak sport looks good except for the top of the pass fender that had a re-paint do to somebody hitting me in 96. Anyway the clear coat is flaking off right at the top of the fender, probably oversparay maybe. Can I wet sand it all of and: A. buff it with a good wax? B. Spray it with aome clear?
Posted By: Skeez

Re: can flaking clear coat.... - 06/05/08 09:14 PM

If the clear is flaking and you wetsand it you will cut the basecoat, so it will have to be repainted. Once the clear starts to come off the only way to fix it is to re paint it.

Re: can flaking clear coat.... - 06/05/08 09:26 PM

nooooooooooooooooooooooo! jeesh the rest of the truck is still nice and shiney. what paint did they use form the factory?
Posted By: dgc333

Re: can flaking clear coat.... - 06/05/08 10:06 PM

Quote:

If the clear is flaking and you wetsand it you will cut the basecoat, so it will have to be repainted. Once the clear starts to come off the only way to fix it is to re paint it.

The clear coat on my 85 Daytona started to flake. I wet sanded it down to the base and recleared it. It looked like new and lasted another 3-4 years until my kid wrapped it around a tree. It was a non metallic (white) so that may have contributed to the sucess.

Re: can flaking clear coat.... - 06/05/08 11:51 PM

Thanks, mine is red. some of the clear has flaked off already
Posted By: convertriple

Re: can flaking clear coat.... - 06/06/08 02:51 AM

My 95 Ram with original paint is peeling clear coat in several spots , so it isn't just the aftermarket paint.
© 2024 Moparts Forums