Moparts

Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions?

Posted By: moparAL

Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/20/17 05:41 AM

I have a 73 Challenger. Is it possible to make my Challenger use 2 hi/lo headlights (not 4) like a Cuda or Barracuda? I can modify the area behind the other 2 headlights to be fresh air intakes, like the new Dodge Demon. Your thoughts on how to do the modifcations. Thanks everybody.
Posted By: dart440

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/20/17 06:01 AM

2 headlight system uses larger diameter bulbs, so they won't fit the buckets. Guess you could swap buckets, but you would have to also do a lot of mods/custom fabrication to the headlight bezels too. I wouldn't do it...Plus there are the wiring mods.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/20/17 06:39 AM

can you change the type of bulbs you have to achieve what you are after for different/improved lighting?
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/20/17 08:24 AM

This is a good question because I am wondering what the diameter difference is between the 1973 and the 2017? With the halo's and everything they look like they could be close???
Posted By: moparAL

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/20/17 02:33 PM

I like the idea of a small replacable bulb, more light per bulb, I would wire it with a relay(more efficent & brighter). Just mounting it with the ability of aiming it are the major concerns!
Posted By: dvw

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/21/17 03:13 AM

Yes you can use to high bulbs swapped into the low location. You need to notch the low beam buckets to fit the locating nubs in the high beam bulbs. Then splice the high be circuits to those bulbs. Easy.
Doug

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/21/17 03:23 AM

^^^ Ding ding ding I (do) believe we have a winna.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/21/17 03:30 AM

You're all missing his main point here. He wants to use the bright areas as air intakes like on the new Demon.

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/21/17 03:40 AM

You're right, I (re) read it & saw the fresh air intake inquiry
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Modifing 73 Challenger Headlight Questions? - 10/21/17 04:37 AM

You may want to test and see if the single smaller 5.75" diameter light puts out enough light and in a pattern you like before going full bore.

If you plan on running a hign beam bulb in the low location, it requires no changes to the wiring system, as the low socket has a wire for both high and low beam modes.

Wiring in a relay system to power them is a good idea. Plenty of voltage drop in the OEM harness/system.
© 2024 Moparts Forums