Moparts

Push rod length 383

Posted By: moparphilll

Push rod length 383 - 10/16/17 01:49 PM

I have a 383 out of a 1966 coronet 500
Rebuilt but did not get the rocker or push rods, Will rockers and push rods out of any year 3838 work?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/16/17 02:43 PM

from any B block car... not RB
Posted By: markz528

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/16/17 02:52 PM

Pretty sure 66 had smaller pushrod tips. You need to match the pushrods to the lifters that you are using. I think 68 was the first year for the larger size but I could be wrong on the years. All the lifters you buy today have the larger 5/16" ball end.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/16/17 11:31 PM

Rockers are the same, pushrods different.

Here's the pushrods from Rockauto:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=216005&cc=1435009&jsn=472

It's really too bad because,if you decide later to change out the camshaft, you're probably going to get the later model lifters and have to buy pushrods again.

R.

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/17/17 12:47 PM

are these the same length or shorter then newer style?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/17/17 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
Rockers are the same, pushrods different.

Here's the pushrods from Rockauto:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=216005&cc=1435009&jsn=472

It's really too bad because,if you decide later to change out the camshaft, you're probably going to get the later model lifters and have to buy pushrods again.

R.

No need to change the pushrods. The smaller ball will work in the larger cup, remember it has to fit the cup in the lifter AND the cup in the rocker.

Later pushrods will not work in the earlier lifters/rockers.

However, this being a rebuild and you not having rockers already, I would put the later stuff in. the factory upsized the pushrods for a reason, same with the later HD rockers. Since you probably replaced the cam in the rebuild you should already have the later lifters.

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/17/17 03:49 PM

ooh, ok so te "problem" would be the pushrod diameter but not the lenght... right ?

never advertised that before!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/17/17 04:35 PM

Quote:
Actually it is common knowledge, Nacho You are probably spending too much time watching hand egg instead of being on here like you should be.

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/17/17 08:25 PM

The problem is the motor has lifter noise. But also runs ruff and actually has suction at the exhaust occasionally the push rods were missing when I got the engine and I placed 69 383 pushrods in it sooo I was assuming there must be different lenths. I know it is a 66 motor. I will look up heads when I get home to see if it still has the 66 heads

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/17/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Quote:
Actually it is common knowledge, Nacho You are probably spending too much time watching hand egg instead of being on here like you should be.

LOL
Posted By: Sweet5ltr

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/17/17 09:12 PM

Honest reply,

Purchase a $10 adjustable pushrod and obtain the correct length.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/18/17 08:10 PM

The pushrod diameter is the same. The end of the pushrod that contacts with the rocker is the same.

It's the diameter of the cup in the lifter, plus the lifter end of the pushrod, that are different. The earlier pushrod has a clearly visible necked down portion that fits into the smaller cup on top of the lifter.

They ARE different lengths. Overall length of the early one is 8.645", while the later model pushrod is 8.575"

Pictures is late pushrod. Find a picture of the earlier pushrod end here:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=216005&cc=1435010&jsn=493

R.

Attached picture 1968 pushrod.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Push rod length 383 - 10/19/17 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By dogdays
The pushrod diameter is the same. The end of the pushrod that contacts with the rocker is the same.

It's the diameter of the cup in the lifter, plus the lifter end of the pushrod, that are different. The earlier pushrod has a clearly visible necked down portion that fits into the smaller cup on top of the lifter.

They ARE different lengths. Overall length of the early one is 8.645", while the later model pushrod is 8.575"

Pictures is late pushrod. Find a picture of the earlier pushrod end here:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=216005&cc=1435010&jsn=493

R.
All the early, pre 1968 or 1967, had the 1/4 inch ball pushrod ends for those lifters that where different lengths.
I wouldn't bet money that Mopar went to the later lifter cup and same size pushrods on both ends so some of the dealer wrenches wouldn't install them upside down and pierce the rocker arms under warrenty up shruggy
I did that on a 1965 413 I put together for my wife 1965 Dodge Coronet 500, install one side correctly and did the opposite on the other side, I ended up punching through three rockers arms going up the old highway from Mesquite AZ to St George, UT back in the early 1970s realcrazy
Luckily the local dodge dealer had them in stock and some new lifters for that year also wrench The retaining clips in the lifters had got knock out of two of them and ended up washing down into the oil pan, a good stick magnet got those two lifters out and really help installing the new ones wrench
© 2024 Moparts Forums