Moparts

Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee

Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 05:26 AM

I was hoping to get some help before I start replacing parts.

2005 Rumble Bee 4x4 5.7L Hemi. 90,000 miles.

The truck runs extremely well, but the odd time, like every 10 days or so it goes into a rough idle, RPM varies, engine light starts flashing. The next day it will run mint again.

I changed the plugs (the old ones looked great), air filter, the Temp Sensor in the air box, cleaned out the throttle body inside and out. I did this about 10 days ago so I figured whatever it was went away.

Today it acted up today and I checked the codes:
P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0172 - Fuel System Rich
P0132 - O2 Sensor High

I was doing some reading on line and some guys have been having issues with broken valve springs with these symptoms, but I don't think the truck would run perfect most of the time?

Today was also a damp day, truck was started up fine, ran well. After a short drive and a restart that is when it started acting up.

Obviously I was thinking of replacing the O2 sensor but would a bad O2 sensor cause a misfire?

Thanks!

Dave
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 06:30 AM

Id think a broke valve spring wouldnt be intermittent.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 06:54 AM

The early 5.7s also had valve seat problems. Not common but they occurred enough for me to hear about it. A loose valve seat could dislodge, reseat, etc until it falls completely out.
My 2007 Ram had an MDS lifter fail at 59,000 miles. It would hang partially open, causing a misfire in that hole and contaminating the mixture in other cylinders as the piston rose to TDC (When the valves should have been closed)
The 2003 and up trucks had MDS, right? Mine was intermittent and then went full AFU. THey had to pull the head to get to the lifters. They also pulled the rod and piston to hone and install new rings on that piston.
Lets hope that yours is something simple.
Bad o2 sensor could cause problems. Good luck.

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 02:07 PM

No MDS so one less thing to worry about.

Dave
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By 69_SIX_PACK

P0172 - Fuel System Rich
P0132 - O2 Sensor High

Thinking the rich code is were I would start, the other two are probably symptoms of being too rich.

I'd probably start by putting a gauge on the fuel rail and checking for a leaky injector.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 03:41 PM

I was hoping to get some help before I start replacing parts.

2005 Rumble Bee 4x4 5.7L Hemi. 90,000 miles.

The truck runs extremely well, but the odd time, like every 10 days or so it goes into a rough idle, RPM varies, engine light starts flashing. The next day it will run mint again.

I changed the plugs (the old ones looked great), air filter, the Temp Sensor in the air box, cleaned out the throttle body inside and out. I did this about 10 days ago so I figured whatever it was went away.

P0172 - Fuel System Rich
P0132 - O2 Sensor High

I was doing some reading on line and some guys have been having issues with broken valve springs with these symptoms, but I don't think the truck would run perfect most of the time?

Today was also a damp day, truck was started up fine, ran well. After a short drive and a restart that is when it started acting up.

Obviously I was thinking of replacing the O2 sensor but would a bad O2 sensor cause a misfire?

Thanks!

Dave

If it drives the system full lean, Yes, Its basically starving the engine.

A few years back I had a 5.7 Hemi Charger with your exact symptoms. Only faults in it was a misfire code.

After lots of trial and error , cking for fuel pressure drops, possible plug wire shorting , Even ckd compression and it was fine. Same deal, it ran fine sometimes,,sometimes not.

I finally decided to pull the valve covers off for a look see. Found a broken valve spring right bank . Fixed it and never heard from the cars owner again
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 05:28 PM

Try re-torquing your intake bolts. I have to re-tighten mine. Sometimes will act up until it warms up them it goes away. Once I re-tighten them all has been good since.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 05:33 PM

My buddy had a weak valve spring, started off intermittent, we were chasing electrical stuff. After a few weeks it became constant. Really weird. Compression test showed one cylinder down, we changed both springs on that cylinder and it was all set. This was on an 04.

We knew valve springs were a potential issue, but made the assumption it was electrical since it was intermittent. Run a compression test before you start throwing parts at it.
Posted By: floridian

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/13/17 05:39 PM

Do these trucks have an inline fuel filter?? Change it ...
Posted By: 383man

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/14/17 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda

P0172 - Fuel System Rich
P0132 - O2 Sensor High

Thinking the rich code is were I would start, the other two are probably symptoms of being too rich.

I'd probably start by putting a gauge on the fuel rail and checking for a leaky injector.

I agree with this but it would be good to know the count on the codes to know which set first. If an injector sticks open and causes any cylinders to run rich it can set that Fuel System Rich code first. And then when a cylinder missfires of course it will set the missfire code since to rich can cause the missfire. And the 02 high is from running rich as high reading is also rich and low reading (volts) is lean. Also if the fuel pump pressure ran to high from a bad fuel pressure regulator. But your setup should be a returnless system so the fuel pressure regulator is right on the fuel pump in the tank. But I agree it sounds like it goes rich at times and then missfires. Ron
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/14/17 08:12 AM

How do they display on the odometer when you do the key on-off thing 3 times? Do they display chronological or counter (newest code 1st)???

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/14/17 03:50 PM

The engine light doesn't stay on. It isn't on now. It only flashes on and off when the truck is running rough. It was another damp day yesterday and the truck drove fine.

The order they appeared on the scanner was:

1. P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire
2. P0172 - Fuel System Rich
3. P0132 - O2 Sensor High

I could try the key thing if you think you could help.

Dave

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/14/17 08:32 PM

Good call! Tech buddy just said injectors or crap fuel. I don't think the order matters. Do what supercuda said check for leaky injectors. Makes sense.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/15/17 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
How do they display on the odometer when you do the key on-off thing 3 times? Do they display chronological or counter (newest code 1st)???

i have NEVER been able to get the code dance to work on newer stuff ! mad i have tried several different ways to get this to work, but no success ! some say it's easy, but i must be doing something wrong......
beer

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/15/17 05:02 PM

I don't know when or if it changed but my '04 Dodge you turn the key from off to on three times leaving it on and codes will show up in the odometer. If there are no codes or when the codes are done showing it will say "done". I would imagine that the OP's '05 would be the same. Most techs have scanners so they don't bother with it is what my tech buddy tells me. He's still works at an FCA dealership and has been there 20 plus years. He is a great guy and does a lot of restoration work as well.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/15/17 05:38 PM

How about a dirty injector or injectors. Try some injector cleaner.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/15/17 05:57 PM

Ah when it's running right just bring it down to the dealer and trade it in on one of those Ram Rebels
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 10/16/17 12:59 AM

check connections on o2 sensors,hook up a scanner& check that they are working correct.
upstream o2 could be your problem.

Re: Rough Running 2005 Rumble Bee - 11/11/17 06:04 AM

A quick update, I ended up changing both the upstream and downstream o2 sensors. I don't drive the truck a lot but it hasn't acted up since. Hopefully that is all it was.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums