Moparts

Double Cardan Joint rebuild,

Posted By: sthemi

Double Cardan Joint rebuild, - 10/10/17 10:45 AM

Front shaft on my 01 Ram, needs joint rebuilt.
Seen a couple of vids on you tube, doesn't look too terrible.

anyone try to do it?

Good results? Problems?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Double Cardan Joint rebuild, - 10/10/17 04:50 PM

The one time I did it years ago, IIRC by the time you got all the parts bought and then actually did the replacement, for a few bucks more a reman unit was the better choice. As an alternative some driveline shops can replace just the joint by cutting them out and welding in a new joint.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Double Cardan Joint rebuild, - 10/11/17 02:33 AM

I agree with 6pack.we did like 2 at the shop.Then it was cheaper to use a drive shaft shop.Lots of GM used them as did Imperials on the rears.DS shop just changed them to a slip joint.We had 2 that went bad after rebuildig the OE joints.The guy that did them did a bunch when he was at Gm and said it was a crap shoot rebuilding them.Rocky
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Double Cardan Joint rebuild, - 10/11/17 02:36 AM

most of the time you get them split and find damage that only a driveline shop is equipped to handle. We do new/reman units.

Re: Double Cardan Joint rebuild, - 10/11/17 11:26 AM

Thanks for the replies, leaning toward having the shop do it.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Double Cardan Joint rebuild, - 10/11/17 11:49 AM

My experience is quite different I've redone a bunch and they hold up fine.

Note most of the ones I've done have been Spicer. A couple have been Saginaw type which is likely what you have. You'll need a torch for disassemble, they use injected plastic to hold the cups in. Melt the plastic (stinks like hell) then basically a regular u joint rnr.

If the centering ball and spring are ok, you're good.

Re: Double Cardan Joint rebuild, - 10/12/17 10:27 AM

Thanks Ruderunner,
I just ordered a low miles shaft from a JY in Kentucky, hopefully it will drop in and work. Not real expensive.
© 2024 Moparts Forums