Moparts

Broken door lock actuator

Posted By: Moonraker

Broken door lock actuator - 10/09/17 10:35 PM

Need some recommendations because I'm out of ideas...The rear door lock actuator in the 2003 Dodge Ram broke and it must be internal in the actuator itself because nothing will free it to open it. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. We have the door panel off but the door is stuck closed access to the actuator is tight. Anybody have any ideas on how to free it? Drill it? Torch it? I'm about ready to hook a chain to the door and tear it off LOL eek
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Broken door lock actuator - 10/10/17 12:54 AM

Quote:
Drill it? Torch it? I'm about ready to hook a chain to the door and tear it off LOL eek
Don't do that! You might call the dealer or a shop & see if they will give you some free advice.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: Broken door lock actuator - 10/10/17 01:10 AM

I don't know the answer, but you can download the 2003 Ram Factory Service Manual here and hopefully it gets you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.ramforum.com/f76/3rd_gen_parts_manuals_2003_2004_service_manuals-6504/
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Broken door lock actuator - 10/10/17 02:03 AM

So Mr Bond, what state are you in right now?

If it's rust belt then the latch is likely seized. Pry the linkages and kick (yes kick) the door till open.

Or,. No Mr Bond, I expect you to die.(yeah wrong movie but just a great line)
Posted By: rth

Re: Broken door lock actuator - 10/10/17 04:35 PM

Had a similar problem on my daughters old Civic. Door wouldn't open. After careful look at the other side, I came up with this. I drilled a hole in the inside of jam that lined up with striker. Filed it out to fit a sawall blade and cut off striker. Made repair to mechanism and welded striker back on.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Broken door lock actuator - 10/11/17 02:31 AM

I've had that occur when the power door lock mechanism broke in a way that you couldn't unlatch the door.... window up, got my air chisel in the door with a long pointed attachment broke the plastic latch where the lock mechanism was. This allowed the movement to unlatch the door.
© 2024 Moparts Forums