Moparts

How do I remove windshield?

Posted By: lostdog

How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 09:50 PM

What's the best at-home method for removing the front windshield from '73 barracuda?

thanks !
Posted By: Neil

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 09:55 PM

The original window gaskets on my car were hard as a rock so I carefully cut them with a utility knife to get the glass to come out.

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:03 PM

I cannot tell if this is held in with a molded rubber gasket or is it the adhesive that's applied from a tube? My windshield is badly cracked so I am not trying to save it. I need to slip a cutting tool between the glass and adhesive/gasket ?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:19 PM

I'm not familiar with the E bodies, but all the others from that era were a rubber gasket as far as I know.
I also used the knife for many years.
I now have the tool made for windshield removal.
It's simply a handle with a sharp angeld blade at one end and a handle on a cable at the other end.
Insert the blade and carefully pull it around the glass.
Viola. The glass can now easily be removed.
It is very helpful.

Attached picture IMG_4145.JPG

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By bboogieart
I'm not familiar with the E bodies, but all the others from that era were a rubber gasket as far as I know.
I also used the knife for many years.
I now have the tool made for windshield removal.
It's simply a handle with a sharp angeld blade at one end and a handle on a cable at the other end.
Insert the blade and carefully pull it around the glass.
Viola. The glass can now easily be removed.
It is very helpful.

Great ! I was thinking I would use that tool, but wasn't sure how the glass comes out. So I take it the gasket is not designed to be reused but instead replaced with new glass? I already have too much to fix on this car and am trying to avoid making more work for myself
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By lostdog
What's the best at-home method for removing the front windshield from '73 barracuda?

thanks !

E body windshields and rear windows as well are "glued" in, no gasket, use the wire cord and or hot blade method to cut it out

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:31 PM

K Tool International
Part number# KTI-70540

Attached picture IMG_4146.JPG

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By lostdog

So I take it the gasket is not designed to be reused but instead replaced with new glass?

Correct

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
E body windshields and rear windows as well are "glued" in, no gasket, use the wire cord method to cut it out

Well we live and learn. up

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:36 PM

Thanks, guys !

I am taking the glass out because I am prepping to replace the firewall. Fun fun!

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/09/17 10:39 PM

Big project, for me anyways.
Can't wait to see the end result. beer
Posted By: ahy

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/10/17 01:25 AM

Getting the old glass out with ancient adhesive without cracking it is hard. An experienced shop did mine. The front cracked and new windshield required. The back did not crack and was re-used. I now wish the back had cracked also... the 40 YE glass with some scars is not the best.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/10/17 01:30 AM

harbor freight windshield tool.
this tool comes with braided wire so it will cut thru the sealant faster.
1 guy can use it to remove glass. if you do it with 2 guys it will work much better.

https://www.harborfreight.com/professional-windshield-removal-kit-96339.html

the cold knife listed several times requires some skill to use without breakage.

if you really want to save the glass call a pro that uses one of these windshield tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYpzD-VBq0I

several manufacturers make similar tools.
the glass co that our shop uses has one. they have removed several hundeds windshields without breakage that are installed with urethane.
Posted By: floridian

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/10/17 01:49 AM

I believe the OP stated that the glass is already cracked, so use the cold knife, it will be the easiest..

Someone stated the WS broke, but the back glass came out.. Different types of glass, normal for all the tempered pieces to make it, while the WS will usually break being NON tempered.......

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/11/17 08:29 PM

After it was confirmed from you guys that the windshield is set with adhesive, I took a guitar string, slid it under the windshield and sawed it back and forth around the glass. I had it out in about 15 minutes and in ONE piece Thanks, guys!

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: How do I remove windshield? - 10/11/17 11:58 PM

up
© 2024 Moparts Forums