Moparts

used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK?

Posted By: RapidRobert

used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 05:01 PM

Well used cam/lifters in the right order (318) to go into another engine (360) to get it running to sort out leaking head gasket issue, will there be a problem with this? A guy mentioned once that the slight lifter bore angle difference from engine to engine would be an issue. thank you for your time.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 05:05 PM

popcorn

Some feel that it's OK but you have to go through another break-in since there are slight differences in lifter bores. Others will tell you not to even try. Or just go ahead and run it if you're using stock or near-stock spring pressures. Or buy an inexpensive new Summit cam/lifter set (which then needs a break-in)...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By DrCharles
popcorn

Some feel that it's OK but you have to go through another break-in since there are slight differences in lifter bores. Others will tell you not to even try. Or just go ahead and run it if you're using stock or near-stock spring pressures. Or buy an inexpensive new Summit cam/lifter set (which then needs a break-in)...

So, to translate...

I dunno.

Me, used stock 318 cam and lifter in a stock 360, I'd just run it. But that's my opinion, not interested in guessing other's opinions.
Posted By: burdar

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 05:24 PM

I had a stock 340 purpleshaft cam in a 360 for awhile before upgrading. I saved the cam and labeled all the lifters. Later on, I installed the cam in a 318. I put the lifters back on the lobes they came off of and did another break-in. I don't have a LOT of miles on the engine but so far so good.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 05:27 PM

If your going to do it very short term, Id think youd spot/hear a [roblem before it filled your engine with alot of junk or worse.

Ive seen friends do it, actually did it for them with there parts and it worked every time in a mild application, id not do it myself because im just that lucky.
Posted By: wingman

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda

So, to translate...

I dunno.

Me, used stock 318 cam and lifter in a stock 360, I'd just run it. But that's my opinion, not interested in guessing other's opinions.

I'm afraid all you are going to get on this topic is opinions.

I'd wager that NO cam/lifter manufacturer is going to endorse/recommend this practice.

And I'm sure you'll get guy's chiming in with anecdotes: "I've done it and it ran 100,000 miles" or "My buddy did it and trashed his motor".

I'd be shocked if there has been any kind of study done to say yea or nay.

Ultimately it comes down to how much you have invested in the motor and how much you want to invest, it's intended use, the life you hope to get out of it, and how lucky do you feel...
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 05:43 PM

Took a stock cam and lifters from my A-12 a loooong time ago and put them in my buddy's GTX, he ran them for ten years with no problems,

So on a low buck deal, I say give it a try...
Joe

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 06:40 PM

Quote:
how lucky do you feel...
this is the leaking head gasket from Hell eng (5th fireup just went bad) so I do not feel lucky! Thanks a bunch guys...
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 08:28 PM

I have a Bigblock Mopar 484 cam and lifters that just went into its 5th engine last week. I had to replace the lifters this time because they got rusted from sitting. I expect no problems, lobes still look nice.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 08:39 PM

I would do it with no break in and no worry, but I've pretty lucky with such things. If you're concerned and assuming the wear pattern on the cam itself looks normal, then get a fresh set of lifters and go through normal cam run in proceedure. Coat cam with high pressure grease, verify lifter rotation, break in additive, 30 min at 2200 rmp or so, change oil, etc. etc.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 08:43 PM

Stock cam and springs? I've done it. 340 cam to a 318 with assorted lifters from a bucket. No ill effects and no break in, just threw it together and ran it.

Kevin
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/05/17 09:05 PM

Done it 7 times never a problem I soak lifters in ATF then I lube cam with bearing grease

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 12:06 AM

Alright You (all) have convinced me, I will go ahead & not sweat it, this is actually going to be brief run in times to try & sort out the head gasket situation. I did not want a potential bunch of metal in there if it turns out I can resolve this with just a gasket change as opposed to a complete tear down (#6) but I don't feel lucky!
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 01:05 AM

I don't know why anyone would criticize this. The lifters are going back on the same lobes. If the lifters spin easy in the bores of both engines, it will make no difference.
3 things lead to cam/lifter failure:
Improper break in.
Improper oil/lubrication.
Lifters do not rotate in the bores.
If the cam and lifters were fine in the first engine and the lifters rotate easily in the 2nd block, there is no reason to anticipate a failure if you use good oil.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 01:12 AM

I've done it, no break-in, no problems.

And it wasn't no stock cam either, high lift, somewheres in the .530" or more. Been MANY years ago, in the late '60s, '68 or '69.

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 02:07 AM

Quote:
Lifters do not rotate in the bores.
If the cam and lifters were fine in the first engine and the lifters rotate easily in the 2nd block, there is no reason to anticipate a failure if you use good oil.
Noted, I will confirm they rotate when I hand spin the cam.
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 01:50 PM

I put a used purple shaft in my 340 years ago. but I did install new lifters. never had a problem. the oil quality then may have helped!
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 05:14 PM

Lifters spin, good to go.
Posted By: Neil

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 09:46 PM

I sold a used 268 comp cam for $20.00 years ago to a friend and he installed it in his engine with new lifters and ran it no problems. As far as I know that engine is still together.

I wonder if there was some way the cam companies couldn't do a break-in before selling them? Make up some sort of machine that replicates the top half of an engine that runs off an electric motor for 20 minutes while motor oil is being recirculated over the moving parts. I bet people would pay more for a cam that was ready to go, or closer to it. So long as the lifters spin free in the customers block it seems like there would be a little less to worry about.
Posted By: CSK

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By Neil
I sold a used 268 comp cam for $20.00 years ago to a friend and he installed it in his engine with new lifters and ran it no problems. As far as I know that engine is still together.

I wonder if there was some way the cam companies couldn't do a break-in before selling them? Make up some sort of machine that replicates the top half of an engine that runs off an electric motor for 20 minutes while motor oil is being recirculated over the moving parts. I bet people would pay more for a cam that was ready to go, or closer to it. So long as the lifters spin free in the customers block it seems like there would be a little less to worry about.

Here you go, Camshaft break in machine

CLICK HERE
Posted By: Neil

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/06/17 10:23 PM

Wow, now that is pretty cool!
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/07/17 12:04 AM

I've put used solid lifters from a different cam (which had wiped a lobe) on another hydraulic cam which was also a used one.
I picked out the lifters with no visible dish.
The lifters were incomplete so I used a 3 more solid lifters from another used stash.

I put some cam-paste on them and ran them through the rpms for about 5 orso minutes.

Ran it for three years without issues.
This was in a 496" stroker with Edelbrock heads.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/07/17 02:29 AM

I would think break in on a machine may be a bit inaccurate due to lifter angle and spacing variables vs any given engine block it would be installed into.
RT

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/07/17 04:34 AM

Yeah that'd be the same as what I was considering.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/08/17 03:50 PM

I think that the statements in the FSM concerning camshaft and/or lifter replacement for stock components is the best guide. I'm not going to post any of the verbiage in the FSM because if you don't have the FSM for your car, you should get one.

Re: used cam/lifters into another block. Problem or OK? - 10/08/17 04:32 PM

are you talking about lifter/bore clearances? I'm haveing an issue there too (low psi). I may have to use my solid & tube it (or bush em with the current hyd).
© 2024 Moparts Forums