Moparts

BF Goodrich T/A

Posted By: 340wedge

BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 05:17 AM

It is time once again to buy some new tires. Has anyone purchased BF Goodrich T/As recently? I am looking for a good price but more important, too see if the white letter browning issue has been resolved.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 05:35 AM

I just bought a set of BFG 235/60/15 from Summitt last month when I was in Reno for Hot August Nights. Coker took over their line of tires. Haven't mounted them yet.
Posted By: MRGTX

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 12:27 PM

I had a set mounted up back in May...no idea if the letters will turn brown but so far, they look fine.

Now you have me wondering!

Have you considered different tires? Yes the options for our tire sizes are minimal but there is the Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR.

I don't think either tire is particularly good (by 2017 standards) but some say the MTs are slightly stickier than the BFG T/As and this may help avoid the BFG letter problem.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6...ASABEgK5y_D_BwE

Posted By: Porter67

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 12:34 PM

$142 vs $127.... Might have to try the MT-s.

Thanks for posting that option.
Posted By: floridian

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird

Check with costco or sams.... FREE shipping and prices are usually good....
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By 340wedge
It is time once again to buy some new tires. Has anyone purchased BF Goodrich T/As recently? I am looking for a good price but more important, too see if the white letter browning issue has been resolved.

I'm in the market for a new set of tires, and was wondering the same thing. According to one of the consumer reviews on the BFG website, the 235's are fine but the 255's and bigger have the brown letter problem.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 09:18 PM

Not resent enough to help I don't think.

Bought a set of 5 255/60/15 roughly in 2014, I think the numbers on the tires showed they were 1 yr old at the time. Wasn't able to get the car on the road till summer of 2015, and yep the white letters will brown.
Posted By: Neil

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 09:24 PM

I have owned BFG's in the past, and currently have M/T on my pickup and the M/T is the better tire of the two.
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/29/17 11:15 PM

I had some TA's on a car that I didn't drive much. They appeared to get flat spots from setting. Seemed like it took about ten miles of driving to get them round again and that first ten miles really sucked!
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 02:23 AM

I recently bought a set of four Cooper Cobra GT Radials. I have been very happy with them.

275/60/15's and 225/70/15's.

Dave
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 02:42 AM

I recently bought Cooper Cobra 245/60R15 for the front and Nitto 275/60R15 for the rear for better street traction.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By 69_SIX_PACK
I recently bought a set of four Cooper Cobra GT Radials. I have been very happy with them.

275/60/15's and 225/70/15's.

Dave

Same here, I replaced my T/A's with a set of the Cooper Cobra's. Saved a lot of money and they ride very nice.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 02:01 PM

There is no more good pricing on BFG Radial T/A's.
Last time you could get good pricing was around 2009.
And this is just a middle of the road tire.
Now they are $130 and up. That's why I stopped buying them.
You can get just as good a tire with Hankook, Cooper etc for less.
Browning on the letters? Yes, the T/A's are having that problem.
The browning of the letters are happening on both
smaller and larger sizes.
Also, the letter fonting has changed a little bit. They are a little
bolder than than they have been in the years past. But, that's ok.

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird

Mounted up a set of Micky Thompson S/T radials on the Savoy this year and I couldn't be happier thumbs
275's on the rear and 195's on the front and the stance is perfect.

Gus beer
Posted By: njmopar

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 02:44 PM

Bought BFG 245s a couple of years back through summit. Letters are still white.
For me the made in USA thing is the only thing stopping me from other brands.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 03:42 PM

Seems like I read somewhere that the Mickeys are made by Cooper. They would be my choice and then the regular Coopers. I thought that Coopers were made in the US? BFG's really are not that good a tire to begin with, but were about the only nostalgia game in town. Now,if Goodyear made the old Polyglas into a radial, like they did with the Firestone wide oval, that is what I would be looking at.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 04:00 PM

My front 245s are still white after 5 years, the 275 rears....NOT

Joe
Posted By: Dixie

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By thehemikid
Not resent enough to help I don't think.

Bought a set of 5 255/60/15 roughly in 2014, I think the numbers on the tires showed they were 1 yr old at the time. Wasn't able to get the car on the road till summer of 2015, and yep the white letters will brown.

I'm in a similar situation. I recently bought a paint pen to try and get the letters white again. I have not tried it yet.

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 06:54 PM

Just looked up 225 60 15's in Radial TA"s

Looks like they are not longer available????
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By floridian

In stock at tire rack

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc...rearDiameter=17

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By floridian

In stock at tire rack

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc...rearDiameter=17

up TY, did not have them at Sams or Summit...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 08:29 PM

Anytime
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 09/30/17 09:56 PM

Dixie, I have a paint marker & a China marker, may play with those on an old tire.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 10/01/17 07:48 AM

I just steel wool mine with a little soap. Whitens them right up. I buy my TAs through summit. Free shipping and 3 days.
Posted By: 71 Charger R/T

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By Lee446
Now,if Goodyear made the old Polyglas into a radial, like they did with the Firestone wide oval, that is what I would be looking at.

You want Goodyear Polyglas radials? I've got them on my car.........
If I can just figure out how to post this picture now.

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 12:16 AM

Well...... that didn't work!
GOT IT!

Attached picture Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 3.44.01 PM.png
Posted By: buildanother

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 12:38 AM

Well, that looks great!
Posted By: cudagee

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 02:07 AM

I have two friends with BF's and the tires turned brown and one of them replaced them under warranty and that st turned brown

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By buildanother
Well, that looks great!

Thanks! But they are really BFG T/A's. I put black walls out and stenciled the Good Year on them. I've got reproduction Polyglas's on another set of rims for shows, but the radials are a softer ride for around town. Nothing beats the look of the Polyglas in my book!
Posted By: cudagee

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 02:50 AM

I agree
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By 71 Charger R/T
Well, that looks great!

Thanks! But they are really BFG T/A's. I put black walls out and stenciled the Good Year on them. I've got reproduction Polyglas's on another set of rims for shows, but the radials are a softer ride for around town. Nothing beats the look of the Polyglas in my book!

How you do that????
Posted By: JonC

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 03:52 AM

Another option:
https://www.tirestickers.com/
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By cudagee
I have two friends with BF's and the tires turned brown and one of them replaced them under warranty and that st turned brown

Wesleys Whitwall Cleaner. Spray it on, scrub with a tire brush and rinse off. The stuff is cheap.
Posted By: gtx-guy

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 04:37 PM

Wesley's tire white will not touch this particular problem. I have been using it for years. will not whiten the lettering on these tires.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 06:49 PM

Well, that looks great!

So, I was thinking of doing the "tire sticker" thing, but I'd like to know more about how you did yours?

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By gtx-guy
Wesley's tire white will not touch this particular problem. I have been using it for years. will not whiten the lettering on these tires.

They must be really bad. Does Oregon use magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, calcium magnesium acetate and potassium acetate on the roads in the winter?

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 06:58 PM

We have a guy here in Phoenix that has a vulcanizing process to put blue and red lines on tires. It's a portable setup, does the tires on the car. Everyone I've talked with that had the process done to their tires have no complaints.
Posted By: 71cudaddict

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 07:05 PM

The last 3 set of 275 60 15 bfg t/a s turned brown after a month 235 60 15 and 245 s didnt
Posted By: minivan

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By dart4forte
Originally Posted By gtx-guy

They must be really bad. Does Oregon use magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, calcium magnesium acetate and potassium acetate on the roads in the winter?

About 10 years ago a "new" guy from some northeast state took over at ODOT for winter maintenance and some sort of spray was being applied to the streets BEFORE any snow or ice happened..

I can only assume the worst from this NON Native Oregonian..
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 08:57 PM

certain sizes of Radial T/A are made by Coker Tire - not sure if it is Coker's tires that stay "white" or turn "brown"

just got some 245/60/15s & 295/50/15s and 2 were from Coker (they're all still blue)
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/09/17 09:40 PM

I'm wondering how many REAR tires are turning brown? It's not rocket science.

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/10/17 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By JMCFAN
Well, that looks great!

How you do that????

I looked at the "tire stickers" also and liked that idea , but this was a much cheaper alternative! I had some plastic/vinyl spray paint and some wrapper stock. So I took some paper, did a pencil rub of one of my repro Polyglas's and transferred that on to the wrapper stock and cut it out with a razor blade to make a stencil. (crude but effective) Just centered the stencil and sprayed. Looks pretty convincing from a few feet away and undetectable when rolling down the road. The only give away is the ride and sidewall/tread pattern.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.10.43 PM.png

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/10/17 12:38 AM

Full pic.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.35.41 PM.png

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/10/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By JMCFAN
Well, that looks great!

How you do that????

I looked at the "tire stickers" also and liked that idea , but this was a much cheaper alternative! I had some plastic/vinyl spray paint and some wrapper stock. So I took some paper, did a pencil rub of one of my repro Polyglas's and transferred that on to the wrapper stock and cut it out with a razor blade to make a stencil. (crude but effective) Just centered the stencil and sprayed. Looks pretty convincing from a few feet away and undetectable when rolling down the road. The only give away is the ride and sidewall/tread pattern.

Nicely done!!
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/10/17 03:02 AM

Not only that, but that's a sweet car too. twocents

Is the paint holding up so far? Any cracks in the paint from all the flexing?

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/10/17 03:08 AM

Thanks for the props! Yes the paint holds up very well. No cracking. I think its because it's for plastic, it probably is formulated with more elasticity.
Posted By: moparx

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/10/17 04:10 PM

what product do you use to give the black wall a semi sheen ? does it affect the lettering in any way ? how do you clean the sidewall ?
beer
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/10/17 05:10 PM

My front BGF's are still white. My rears have turned brown. I have used everything to clean them & the brown comes right back. Eventually, took a white paint pen & redid the letters. This has held up for several years but is starting to flake of now.
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/13/17 04:28 AM

I had BFG's on the rear of my car. They were like stones, I could have pulled 2 plug wires off and still tore the street up n smoke. There are better options available.

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/15/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
what product do you use to give the black wall a semi sheen ? does it affect the lettering in any way ? how do you clean the sidewall ?
beer

I use Barret Jackson tire shine for the sheen. It doesn't affect the lettering. I just wash the tires as normal when needed. (scrub brush and comet) I wiped the sidewall down with a lacquered rag before stenciling the letters, so it sticks pretty darn good! I still have an old burned off tire from a smoke show from about 6 years ago, I did the same thing to. it still looks pretty decent for sitting out in the weather, leaning against my shed in the sun for that long. I'll snap a photo and see if I can attach it here.

Attached picture 20170914_155947.jpeg

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/15/17 07:25 PM

Not sure if that worked..... picture seems to start to generate, then disappears to the little blue question mark. What'd I do wrong? I'm not real savvy with this stuff!

There!!

Attached picture Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 12.17.25 PM.png
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/15/17 08:50 PM

It worked the first time! I always like the size of the Goodyear letters. It always seemed like the BFG's and especially the Dunlop's were too big. I'm a black wall out guy anyway, I think black walls show off the wheels better. I know a guy that thinks that if you have wheel lip moldings that you should have black walls. No chrome around the opening, raised white letters.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/16/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By dart4forte
We have a guy here in Phoenix that has a vulcanizing process to put blue and red lines on tires. It's a portable setup, does the tires on the car. Everyone I've talked with that had the process done to their tires have no complaints.

A neighbor of mine had the same thing done and was happy. I bought some tire paint to re-color my BFG's. But, now that I think about it, flipping them around and putting redlines on them might be better. Just not sure how they'll look with slots.
Posted By: Fastback67

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/17/17 01:16 AM

Anyone tried the newish Milestar Street Steel tires yet?

Attached picture Milestar-2.jpg
Attached picture 51G0FmTt0YL__SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Re: BF Goodrich T/A - 11/17/17 02:45 AM

Sorry but that edge tread pattern is B$tt ugly
© 2024 Moparts Forums