Moparts

Tricky Dent.....

Posted By: ridin98ci

Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:14 PM

OK....I have a question for you body guys.....I have a 74 Coronet that the roof was pushed in on....I popped most all of it out but there is still about a 10 inch round dent that I cant get to pop out.....what can I do?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:18 PM

Have you tried a old fashion rubber toilet plunger?

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:23 PM

Yeah I have....I cant get the rest of it up. I even dropped the headliner and pushed it up and it popped right back down....I am getting kinda pissed...
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:40 PM

The metal has been stretched & needs to be shrunk...They are numerous ways of doing that, shrinking hammer, heat & quench, grinding disc & quench...

Rather than typing for the next hour I did a quick search...Here ya go..

http://www.autobodystore.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-157.html
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:43 PM

How bout adding a Sunroof?

Sorry, not much help.

Years ago the garage door came down hard on the rear quarters of my 70 RR. My body guy didn't even blink at it. With a torch and light taps of a hammer it was good as new.

Good luck.

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:43 PM

How hard is it to F the procedure up? I am no body man....
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:44 PM

Quote:

The metal has been stretched & needs to be shrunk...They are numerous ways of doing that, shrinking hammer, heat & quench, grinding disc & quench...

heat & quench
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:44 PM

I edited my post...

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 09:57 PM

OK so does the shrinking wheel work as well as the torch? do you work from the outside in or vice verse?

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 10:37 PM

Here is what I am dealing with....it is just my driver but I hate that dang dent...

Attached picture 5055394-100_0679.jpg
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 11:04 PM

Quote:

How hard is it to F the procedure up? I am no body man....

It can be easy to mess up if you heat it too much. Leave it to a pro if you're not sure.
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/26/09 11:29 PM

try to locate a paintless dent remover in your area.

They patiently remove dents without re-painting,

I would suggest talking with a body shop owner in your area, they often deal with these paintless dent removers.

Unless you have the skills, dont try to repair your roof , chances are you will make it much worst

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/27/09 12:34 AM

Thanks for all the input guys....I think I will see if one of the shops around here will mess with it.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/27/09 01:09 AM

If it was me, I would mix up some bondo and apply it to the inside of the roof with the dent popped up. It will need to be at least 1/4 inch thick. Once the bondo hardens it will stay up. This way there is no damage to the exterior paint work. Replace the headliner and know one will know.....Phill
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/27/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

If it was me, I would mix up some bondo and apply it to the inside of the roof with the dent popped up. It will need to be at least 1/4 inch thick. Once the bondo hardens it will stay up. This way there is no damage to the exterior paint work. Replace the headliner and know one will know.....Phill

and always drive around with a helmet for when the bondo comes apart and falls on your head
Posted By: 69DartGT

Re: Tricky Dent..... - 02/27/09 02:54 AM

Way back a guy I knew used dry ice to pop a large dent. Put the ice on and covered it with a towel, its cheap and most market carry it, $1.00 to 1.50 a pound.
© 2024 Moparts Forums