Moparts

Dumb Question I Guess

Posted By: 70VERT

Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 03:49 AM

Putting new wires and cap on my new 440.
Check me..... Firing order 18436572, CW distributor rotation, drivers side odd cylinders, #1 closest to radiator? Looking down on the distributor with the cap notch as a reference, where does #1 wire go?
Thank you in advance
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 04:07 AM

You will have to get the engine on top dead center on the compression stroke for cylinder #1 to know. The rotor will be pointing to the cap location for the #1 cylinder wire.
Posted By: sportfury70

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 04:07 AM

The ones I've had in the past, #1 was 6 o'clock when standing at passenger side fender looking down at distributor cap.
Best way would be to bring #1 to TDC on compression stroke and remove cap to verify location.
Are you familiar with that procedure? If not holler out & we'll walk you through.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 04:08 AM

rotation is ccw by the way and #1 rotor point area is kinda towards fuel pump area. About 4 oclock as you're standing on right side of engine looking at it.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 04:12 AM

Attached picture distributor rotation and cylinder numbers.jpg
Attached picture engine sketch with distributer  rotation 2.jpg
Attached picture engine sketch with distributer rotation 1.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 05:37 AM

from pass side fender: #1 plug wire at 5 o'clock & this is just below the front dist cap spring retainer strap. vac can straight across toward the drivers side at 12 o'clock. this lets the wires nestle the neatest & maintains the OE order. I would reclock the intergear to achieve that. Yes CCW
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
from pass side fender: #1 plug wire at 5 o'clock & this is just below the front dist cap spring retainer strap. vac can straight across toward the drivers side at 12 o'clock. this lets the wires nestle the neatest & maintains the OE order. I would reclock the intergear to achieve that. Yes CCW
iagree up
That's the way I do all of mine except on the vacuum pod, it may end up to the front or rear a liitle more, depending on the cam and oil pump gear shruggy scope
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 05:52 AM

There are no dumb questions man. That's why folks come on here. Aren't you glad you asked?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 09:15 AM

Where #1 will be will also depend on how the distributor is installed. If it was just dropped in randomly, #1 can be anywhere.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 02:51 PM

It's not a chevy, either it's right, or it's a 180 out.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 03:00 PM

If you want the distributor and wires to be in the OE positions, then the drive must be installed in the correct orientation. The drive's slot needs to be parallel to the crank when #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke.

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 03:58 PM

There are no dumb questions (only rude replies on occaision & that too is getting way lesser), now way back a guy asked on how to deal with his dogs' flatulence (in the general section iirc/& I would assume) & I knew right then that I need to stay in the Q&A section & not stray (I might like it).
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/23/17 11:48 PM

Be glad you don't live with me. 3 dogs....
Posted By: cbusters

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/24/17 01:57 AM

There was a racer tip at one time that suggested that a Ford rotor was 180 degrees out from a Mopar and would fit. If the distributor was dropped in at the track pointing the wrong direction and wouldn't fire they would just pop the cap and replace the rotor and it would fire. Anyone else remember something like that?

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/24/17 02:25 AM

that would be a Hell of a trick.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/24/17 03:03 AM

I have always set mine up with #1 position closest to #1 cyl.

Back when I first started out playing fast cars, I went to the track with my bargain 440 race motor in my 63 Ply, took 3 meetings to figure out that it had a small block twin point dissy (reverse rotation) and just to make sure we learners failed the timing tape on the balancer was on backwards !!!!! Dumb and Dumber Racing smile
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/25/17 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By cbusters
There was a racer tip at one time that suggested that a Ford rotor was 180 degrees out from a Mopar and would fit. If the distributor was dropped in at the track pointing the wrong direction and wouldn't fire they would just pop the cap and replace the rotor and it would fire. Anyone else remember something like that?

Yes. Saw it done a few times.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/25/17 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
There are no dumb questions man. That's why folks come on here. Aren't you glad you asked?

iagree There's no such thing as a dumb question.

Re: Dumb Question I Guess - 09/25/17 11:35 PM

We need a (furd) part number
© 2024 Moparts Forums