Moparts

Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover?

Posted By: RM21N0A

Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/26/09 12:12 PM

And if you have, where did you get the replacement gasket?
I have a 70 RR, but I think the air cleaner is for a 71 - and the gasket on the cover seems to be cork and measures about 1/4" x 1/4".
Posted By: charger440sixpak

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/26/09 01:48 PM

I need one too...
Posted By: 70redbee

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/27/09 03:16 AM

If you can't find a replacement just go to NAPA and buy yourself a roll of cork gasket material and make one yourself. Should be able to draw it out and cut it with a pair of scissors and keep the rest for another project. Can't have too many extra parts and pieces. Hope this helps.
Posted By: ridin98ci

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/27/09 11:37 PM

I think he means the foam rubber seal on the air cleaner lid......try some stick on foam weather striping....just use some good glue
Posted By: 66droptop

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/27/09 11:40 PM

I used a little black rubber washer...
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/28/09 02:49 AM

I sent a world famous resto gasket making dude one about a year ago to get some made Either the one I sent was too far gone to copy, or he hasn't had time to get to it yet.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/28/09 03:02 AM

I was wondering if the world famous gasket guru was on the job...

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/28/09 05:39 PM

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. You can see where I already dug out a piece of the gasket, and how rusty the lid has gotten under it.

I've checked with Year One and Paddock about the gasket, and I've checked with several NAPA and other auto parts stores about 1/4" by 1/4" (or round 1/4") gasket material sold by the foot. No luck anywhere so far.

Someone must have replaced this before - mine can't be the only that got this corroded.

I want to dig the old one out, paint the thing, and put in another gasket, so I just need to get some ideas.

Attached picture 5059514-Copyof2009-02-28016.jpg
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/28/09 06:21 PM

Later years have a foam type gasket. I have a nos one around here somewhere. As far as finding the cork one I have no idea. Mike
Posted By: charge70

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/28/09 07:58 PM

Go to the dealer and see if this part# is still available.It's 2536016 it may have been superseded by now.That's the factory # for that seal.I remember reading somewhere,I think MoPar Action that this factory part ends up being a little short and you'll need to order 2 of them.Worth checking into. John.

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 02/28/09 11:18 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if the world famous gasket guru was on the job...

It may not be worth Jims time to make these. I figured they were one long 1/4 x 1/4 foam ribbon, but they are actually a one piece foam ring. Jim is VERY detail oriented, and I don't think he would settle for making these less than perfect I'll bet it would cost out the yingyang to buy a piece of the correct foam, cut one gasket out and trash the rest.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/01/09 01:35 AM

Back when Chrysler was selling a replacnemt seal it was a long straight ribbon that you cut to fit... It certianly doesn't need to seal absolutely perfect, whats the worse that would happen, air drawn in around the edge instead of through the open snorkle?
Posted By: wingman

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/01/09 02:55 AM

When I did mine I got some 1/4 inch window weatherstripping tape from Home Depot. Pulled out the old and stuck in the new--worked great.

Besides, as mentioned, it's not important that it seals, anyway. The real seal is between the lid and the air cleaner element.

Also, nobody will ever see it.

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/01/09 05:56 AM

Quote:

Back when Chrysler was selling a replacnemt seal it was a long straight ribbon that you cut to fit... It certianly doesn't need to seal absolutely perfect, whats the worse that would happen, air drawn in around the edge instead of through the open snorkle?

I was just sayin that Jim won't make something less than perfect.
Posted By: 70redbee

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/01/09 06:14 AM

Try DMT on ebag and if he doesn't have it maybe he will make it for you.I have bought some of his stuff and it fits pretty well.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/01/09 06:25 AM

Used to be a replacement part at and Dodge dealer. I've replaced them before with the factory part but that was at least 10 years ago.
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/01/09 05:46 PM

Home Depot has weatherstrip in a crapload of sizes. I re-did the cover on my 340 with it. I got 1/2 inch wide black urethane, seems to be working just fine, for like $7.

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/02/09 12:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I was kind of stuck and needed to hear what some of you had done or ideas that you had.

Going to be in the sixties this coming weekend (snowing like crazy right now though) so I'll be able to paint outside, instead of in the deep sink next to the washing machine.

Then I'm sure I'll end up doing one of the things mentioned here.

Attached picture 5064125-Copyof100_2915.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/02/09 02:42 PM

Quote:

Home Depot has weatherstrip in a crapload of sizes. I re-did the cover on my 340 with it. I got 1/2 inch wide black urethane, seems to be working just fine, for like $7.

I've restored about 5 air cleaners with reg weather stripping from Home dump, I mean depot. Sold them on Ebay and people loved them. All A+ feedbacks. It fits perfect and no one will ever be able to tell.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Anyone ever replace gasket on air cleaner cover? - 03/02/09 04:45 PM

Quote:

This doesn't answer the issue of seeking "cork" as the gasket material, and I am setting myself up for some flaming, but...

In a previous life, I worked at an automotive electric shop that did a tremendous business in restoration after fires. It was indeed the unusual and small underhood fire that didn't somewhat damage the seal on the air cleaner lid. Bearing in mind that we weren't looking for paper-tag-on-the-radiator-neck restoration, just make-it-look-good-under-the-hood, the air cleaner housing would often get bead blasted and then rattle canned. Regardless of how much paint the housing needed or didn't need, without fail the top lid gasket "restoration" was to scrape out the old remains and gorilla snot in a length of 5/32" vacuum hose.

Probably not the best approach for the OE tent at the Nats, but it's not as Mickey Mouse as it sounds. Probably would pass muster with more people than you think.
© 2024 Moparts Forums