Moparts

440 external oil pump question.

Posted By: Herbykw

440 external oil pump question. - 09/07/17 11:04 PM

I have a 440 block with a 440 source 528ci stroker kit. I have to run an external oil system due to the stroke. The car is a 75 Cordoba that had a stock 360. I bought motor mounts from engine-swaps.com to swap the 360 to a 440. I bought a external oil pump from 440 source and it is too large to fit and cant be cut down enough. I was looking at Milidon 21215 oil pump cover, it looks smaller in the pics then the 440 source cover. I called milidon and the guy i spoke with says this over hangs the lower pump by about an inch. Any one know how far these can be trimmed down? if any. Or a slimmer external oil pump cover? I would post pics of clearance, but can not figure out how on this site. It wont let me post photobucket pics. google search of the 21215 led me to this site. but i can not see pics posted through photobucket. This is one of the few things stopping me from getting the engine in the car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/08/17 01:25 AM

Big block Cordoba sounds cool! Maybe http://engine-swaps.com/ can help? With their mounts it says that some fab is needed for the oil pump.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/08/17 03:22 AM

Herb Welcome here. I don't have an answer as my BB info is lacking & my cordoba exp is non existant but do post a pic when you get it figured out. I take it the piece/part that it is hitting cannot be trimmed?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/08/17 06:31 AM

Hard to understand what the problem is without some pictures. Is the oil pump running into the engine mount? If so you might need to use different engine mounts. Maybe find a big block K frame and use stock mounts? Or use a motor plate if this is a race car.

There are all kinds of oil pumps for big block engines. Standard, HV, Milodon, single inlet, dual inlet, etc. so there are lots of variables in this equation.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/08/17 02:56 PM

Just use Milodon's 21815 oil pump and a stock oil pump cover. This pump has the inlet on the pump body, faces the front of the car, then you just bolt a stock cover onto it. I've used this setup on my cuda for years.

http://www.manciniracing.com/brbhemwedalp.html
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/08/17 03:48 PM

If you're running a HV pump you can gain 1/4" by switching to a standard pump. And you don't need a HV pump anyway!
Posted By: moparts

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/08/17 04:07 PM

Or use a stock pump and the plate from Milodon for the external line

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/09/17 07:30 AM

So the engine mounts work with the stock pump. But I have to run an external pick up.
The pump cover I bough from 440 source is way too big and can not be trimmed.

So milidon pump 21815 is a external pick up pump? The link used does not say it is for an external pick up. Neither did the part I called them for.

I am looking at a pump cover I think 21215. Looks like it would be closer. But I don't know if it will fit. Or how far it can be trimmed.

It is not how far the pump sticks off the block. The pump cover is sticking towards the back of the engine about and inch to two inch further then the lower part of the pump.

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/09/17 05:32 PM

Use the Milodon pump that has the external input on the front of the engine. Not sure why you keep talking about changing the cover? You don't need to change the pump cover to run external oiling.

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/09/17 06:11 PM

This is new to me. I didn't know you can get the pump with the external oil pick up. That simplifies everything for me. Thank you

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/09/17 07:32 PM

The Milodon pump has an inlet on the front. If you run a single line external system then you can just plumb into the pump and use a stock cover. If you run a dual line system then you plumb into the pump and the cover. Or you can run a stock pump and a Milodon inlet plate which also comes in from the front. There are a bunch of different pumps and pump configurations so you need to spend some time looking at the Milodon catalog and then figure out what you want to do.

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/09/17 07:44 PM

Here is a picture of a dual line system. Notice that the cover has the option of bringing oil in from the rear or the side. I used the rear inlet on this engine. For a single line system you can use a stock cover and bring the oil into the front of the pump.

Attached picture DSC_6915 (Large).JPG

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/09/17 11:38 PM

Very nice. Thank you. I ordered it.
Posted By: 65Fury440

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/10/17 01:19 AM

I have that same Source kit, it fit in the block fine, just some really minor grinding needed.

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/10/17 05:01 PM

I had to grind down part of the block for the crank to spin. But it still hits the internal pick up right above the threads.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 440 external oil pump question. - 09/10/17 06:59 PM

Quote:
I have that same Source kit, it fit in the block fine, just some really minor grinding needed.

Same here. Only minor grinding at the bottoms of some of the bores. I could probably have run an internal pickup but I already had all the external stuff so figured what the hell. Ironically, every piece I had I sold and replaced !!
© 2024 Moparts Forums