Moparts

Removing key cylinder from glove box??

Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 12:40 AM

I missed the class on how to remove the lock and key cylinder from the glove box door from a 70 b-body. Sorry I do not have the key that belongs to the door. So short of breaking the things what must I do? I assume I need to push the small spring that is half way down the housing into the grove and then pull the cylinder out??? Thanks!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 12:51 AM

...one of these should help? last instructions is for E body

Attached picture gloveboxlock.JPG
Attached picture gloveboxlock2.JPG
Attached picture gloveboxlock70challenger.JPG
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By 70HemiGTX
Sorry I do not have the key that belongs to the door.

that means that you need to have a key made
or you will be breaking it..
Posted By: BDW

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 01:19 AM

I just went through this, you can't remove it without it in the locked position.
So you need key or a way to pick the lock.
Locksmith wanted $50 to do it, so I just drilled it out and replaced with a non-locking cylinder.
You can buy a brand new repo keyed lock cylinder for $30.

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 03:10 AM

Thanks for all the insight. I don't care about breaking the chrome trim part. I have a new set to put in. I just don't want to harm the inside latch. I guess I need to break out the drill.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 03:32 AM

FWIW I tried to remove the lock on mine with the FSM procedure... in unlocked condition with key. No go. Perhaps operator error? In any case, I re-finished around the lock. Masking tape and time was my friend. It came out fine.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 03:49 AM

i have taken a few apart that were not easy to do.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 04:00 PM

If you have the matching trunk lock, it is easier to remove it and take it to a locksmith and have a key made.
I am guessing you don't though.
Craig
Posted By: ct440rod

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 04:05 PM

Had same problem (no key) took it out and took to locksmith. I think he charged 8 bucks to make a key.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 04:20 PM

I have had great luck just popping the chrome piece off of the lock housing. A flat screw driver inserted slightly into it, and then a bit of a pry will pop it right off. Very easy to press on again too. I just use my vice and a socket that fits over the chrome piece with a rag in between. I have done several like this. I tried to get mine off with procedure shown above. Must have had an hour or more into it and gave up. My method took about 10 seconds. Good luck!!
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/29/17 10:57 PM

Could you remove door and take to a knowledgeable locksmith who could 'impression' a key. My ex father-in-law would often impression door locks on locked out Mopars

Re: Removing key cylinder from glove box?? - 08/31/17 02:21 AM

I got it off pretty quickly with the paper clip. Even without the key. I just used a small flat screw driver to wiggle a little bit. Then it just started to work it's way out. Now to refinish everything...
© 2024 Moparts Forums