Moparts

Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole

Posted By: PAULS_340

Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 05:12 AM

We noticed yesterday there is no hole in either of my strut rod's. Chrysler put a press-pin in those from the factory. Is it possible to drill a hole in those while on the car? Or are they hardened and would break many drillbits. thanks.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 05:18 AM

I don't think I have ever seen a torsion bar with a pin in it. A clip in the rear socket is all I remember. Where would the pin go?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 05:19 AM

A hole in the torsion bars? There should be a hole in the end of the strut rods for a roll pin but nothing in the torsion bars.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 05:23 AM

iagree

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 05:31 AM

Thanks burdar for reminding me they are strut rods...it's late and I should just quit for the day.

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 05:36 AM

Factory strut rods seem to bend fairly easily. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to drill one. Not sure about an aftermarket one. Try it and see. I'd be interested to hear what others think...is a roll pin really needed? Has anyone ever seen a nut back off on a strut rod?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 06:54 AM

Didn't the factory stop using the roll pin around 70?
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 11:33 AM

My '73 Dart has pin-holes in the strutrods but also selflocking nuts that work just as good.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 03:39 PM

from what i remember back when those cars were new [i have "oldtimers" disease now, so keep that in mind], weren't those pins quite a way from the nut edge ? if so, the nut would have to back off a bunch before the pin would be of any value, and would certainly cause issues suck as "clanking" or "squeak/creaking" sounds some would investigate before the nut would come off. just my old memory at work here, so be gentle please.
beer
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 03:48 PM

Drill baby drill!
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 04:00 PM

Your original post WAS for strut rods - someone changed it to Torsion bar.
If the nut were to start backing off the car would pull badly to the side with the loose nut. The strut rod controls toe out throughout the range of lower control arm travel. As for drilling it - that shouldn't be a problem if you are thinking of drilling it.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Torsion bars don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 06:31 PM

Best done off the car with a drill press and a V-block. Though I really don't think they are necessary.

R.

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 06:38 PM

Quote:
Your original post WAS for strut rods - someone changed it to Torsion bar.

His original post said "torsion bar". He changed it to "strut rod" after Stumpy and I questioned it.

Quote:
Didn't the factory stop using the roll pin around 70?

My 73 uses a locking nut AND a roll pin. The pin isn't even close to the lock nut once installed.

Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 06:54 PM

Has anybody ever seen a strut rod nut back off enough to get anywhere near the pin? I always thought the pin was silly.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 07:41 PM

Yes, it's a longshot having the locknut back off. Besides the locknut, it is initially tightened to a positive stop with that sleeve being in there.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/21/17 09:29 PM

My '73 Dart (I know there's something missing behind the washer)

Posted By: buildanother

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/22/17 02:19 AM

Well, that should be doing some strange stuff when you pile on the brakes...
Posted By: elmor353

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/22/17 03:01 AM

My 77 pickup doesn't have a hole for pins. I really don't think they are necessary.

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/22/17 04:44 AM

So my driver side Strut bar nut did work its way almost off last year. A little thread lock and it's fine now. I noticed this weekend several Abody's with the pin. Good drilling project this winter when/if I pull the engine. Thanks
Posted By: therocks

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/22/17 01:35 PM

IIRC my 65 didnt have pins.Replaced them like 15 or so years ago with RMS ones with heims.No more problems with bushings etc.Rocky
Posted By: moparx

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/22/17 04:21 PM

rocky, have you replaced the heims during that time frame ? if not, how many miles on them now ?
beer
Posted By: therocks

Re: Strut rod's don't have a press-pin hole - 08/23/17 02:26 AM

Had them on for about 10 years at least.Probally about 10 or 12 K on them at least.Some strip use also on Ohios crappy roads.No problems at all.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums