Moparts

Couple of 68 GTS questions

Posted By: SanityLost

Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/13/17 12:35 PM

68 gts dart bucket seats, could you order them with Head rests? Or was that a 69 and up thing? The GTS emblems, why do I find some that are bordered with Red and some with black? The Fender GTS emblems are they a standard item or did different stripe options dictate whether a car would have the fender emblems or not?
Posted By: superbirdrag

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/13/17 01:51 PM

From my research over the years:

I believe in 1968 the headrest were a option you could add, but in 1969 they were standard due to safety.
The emblems are all standard on gts cars for 1968. The color depended on the color of your car.In 1969 If you had a stripe delete car you got the front fender emblem. If you had a rear stripe you did not get the front fender emblem.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/13/17 02:05 PM

Head rests became standard in all vehicles built after 1/1/1969
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/14/17 05:27 AM

Head rests were optional in 1967 and 1968.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/14/17 02:25 PM

GTS letters could be in red on green, white, and black cars I have seen over the years. I have been looking for the factory paperwork (TSB) on them for years, still haven't found it.

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/14/17 06:27 PM

How about Yellow W/red GTS emblems? Also what about the rear stripe placement on the car? I'm seeing it run up from the rear edge of the lower part of the quarter panel to a few inches away from it....

Attached picture drivers side back.jpg

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/14/17 07:09 PM

Can't recall ever seeing them stock on a yellow car, but anyone can buy them in reproduction and add them to a car. I have the factory TSB on the stripe, and the rear most edge should come very close to the edge of the quarter panel bumper indentation.

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/14/17 07:30 PM

So would it be safe to say the above picture showing the stripe, that it's in the wrong place? Here's a shot of the red GTS Emblem with the yellow car

Attached picture drivers side fender.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/14/17 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By SanityLost
How about Yellow W/red GTS emblems? Also what about the rear stripe placement on the car? I'm seeing it run up from the rear edge of the lower part of the quarter panel to a few inches away from it....

Big thing in those pics that stick out (literally) is the gas cap.

Is that just a wrong cap? Or bad quarter quality/replacement? Or gas tank tube with flange on wrong side? Or ?

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/15/17 03:41 AM

Probably wrong cap, seen it dozens of times. And the 69 hub caps too, I see a few other things that are not quite right too. scope

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/15/17 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
GTS letters could be in red on green, white, and black cars I have seen over the years. I have been looking for the factory paperwork (TSB) on them for years, still haven't found it.

My GTS (PP1) had red letters (in poor shape, I might add) when we bought the car in 1983. It had 70,000+ miles. I painted them black in the 1980s because I liked the look better. I will probably go back to red this next time around. You can see the red in this pic. You can also see that the replacement hood (from 1970) was not drilled very straight for the letters.

Attached picture img191 resize.jpg

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/15/17 02:20 PM

That's a new one on me, why would they put red letters on a red car?!? shruggy
Posted By: TJP

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/15/17 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
That's a new one on me, why would they put red letters on a red car?!? shruggy

If the hood was replaced the letters may have been as well.

Jim, were the other emblems on the car red as well ?? shruggy

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/16/17 05:14 AM

Yes, all were red. Fenders were also replaced, but the deck lid was original. The front end parts were replaced in 1970, likely with factory parts. Can't imagine a body shop would replace all 12 letters on a near new car.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/16/17 06:57 AM

My S1 yellow 68 emblems didn't have the background. I have pictures dating back to 78 and it appears the emblems had a black background

Attached picture IMG_0060.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0061.JPG

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/16/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By dart4forte
My S1 yellow 68 emblems didn't have the background. I have pictures dating back to 78 and it appears the emblems had a black background
would love to see some back in the day pictures for reference points, especially stripe and emblem placement.

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/16/17 04:44 PM

I use advertising literature and old magazine articles from when the cars were new. here's a link to get you started
LINKY

Google is your friend beer

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/16/17 09:31 PM

Well the factory brochures are only so accurate as they were made when the prototypes and the first pilot cars were coming out, some things changed along the way, though it is a good starting point. twocents

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/17/17 12:44 AM

Jim, any chance the red letters were early cars?

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/17/17 03:37 AM

Having been on the line back in the day, anything is possible.
The union contract at Ford where I worked, had a clause that stated if the line had to be shut down due to a parts problem, the workers went home with full pay for the day. whistling

That clause can explain a lot of whistling mid stream changes that took place. Not sure if it was across the board at all manufacturers but it was in the UAW 1971-73 contract at the plant I worked at shruggy beer

Re: Couple of 68 GTS questions - 08/17/17 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By TJP
Having been on the line back in the day, anything is possible.
The union contract at Ford where I worked, had a clause that stated if the line had to be shut down due to a parts problem, the workers went home with full pay for the day. whistling

That clause can explain a lot of whistling mid stream changes that took place. Not sure if it was across the board at all manufacturers but it was in the UAW 1971-73 contract at the plant I worked at shruggy beer

I'm sure it was. There were a bunch of '68 Valiants that came with Barracuda dashes due to a supply problem...
© 2024 Moparts Forums