Moparts

Springs for magnum heads

Posted By: Jason73

Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 02:57 AM

Hey, how's it going. I'm trying to replace the stock 5.9 magnum springs on a 2001 motor. I noticed in an old post it was mentioned that Hughes 1110 springs can be used with 2.2l retainers, or can use gm springs. I've got a .478 lift so either way should work. What motor/car can the gm springs be found on that work? Also what 2.2l motor for the retainers? Is that the gm 2.2l or dodge 2.2l thanks for your help. I didn't want to revive an old post for this info.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 03:05 AM

Welcome here Jason, now that you mention it yes I remember that article from way back & perfect timing as I have some 5.2 mag heads that I might want to revive. Hang loose, you will get some answers.

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 03:10 AM

Thanks! Glad to be here.

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 05:22 AM

If you can post that old info I'd sure like to see it (or a link to it). I just measured the spring pockets on my 5.2 OE mags & they are narrow (I left the sheet in the garage) but the dia is way less than 1.5" which I believe I read is a good move to "open the pockets up to use common 1.5" springs" & the parenthesis quote was what I read regarding this which is why I went & measured mine yesterday. I'll grab (& post) the note tomorrow.

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 05:39 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/757473/gm-beehive-springs.html

That is a link to the old post I was reading. I'm hoping someone might know which 2.2l motor/car to look for the retainers, and which car/ motor for the gm 3100 springs. Lots of good info, just hope to get some clarification. Thanks

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 05:45 AM

thank you for the info. I do not have an answer for your (2) questions.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 05:05 PM

patrick would be the goto guy for this but he has not posted in three years. I took a lot of his advice in my 5.2L Magnum build but for the springs I used the stock ones that came with my Engine Quest heads. Hughes still has them and may have information on spring seat diameter.
Craig

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 05:23 PM

Quote:
Hughes still has them
Are those his 1110's
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 06:53 PM

I tried to install the Hughes 1110's on my magnum heads and they were too tight/hit on several of them. It is likely due to casting flash/production tolerances on spring pockets or whatever because it was not on all of them. I had purchased the whole retainer/lock/spring kit. When I use them in the future I'll be installing them off the car to check and clearance the spring pockets.

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 11:16 PM

Baxter what did you end up going with if they were to tight?

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/08/17 11:33 PM

Just used the stock springs, many suggested my cam didnt "require" aftermarkets springs so I gave it a shot

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/09/17 01:02 AM

How high is your lift that you could stick with stock springs? If you still have the Hughes I'd be interested in buying them to try

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/09/17 06:28 AM

.480 lift, I was told my cam is the biggest you can go with stock springs and the stock computer

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/10/17 07:32 AM

My OE 5.2 assembled mag heads, the springs are 1&5/16" as best as I could measure with em installed.
Posted By: Vincenzo

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/12/17 12:06 AM

Try magnummopar.com his 550 spring kit should be a plug and play for you.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Springs for magnum heads - 08/14/17 09:17 PM

There isn't a whole lot of room in there.

Rockauto has the Enginetech ERV901 for $2.01 each. It's the same as a 340 stock spring. solid height is 1.1"

Rockauto also lists a tapered spring for 5.2 Mag but no real information on it.

I have seen the Buick tapered springs on Ebay for not much but I cannot remember what retainer goes with them. However, I think Patrick turned away from them. Seat load is a little low for a performance cam.

He posted here within the last month.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums