Moparts

Small Block Engine Bracket Question

Posted By: vinnyd76

Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/05/17 11:33 PM

A friend was attempting to install a pair of small block motor mount brackets on his 360 motor and experienced an issue with mating the bracket to the bosses. Disregard the bolts... It appears the LH mount ear contains a hole at the bottom as opposed to the top. Any idea what this bracket is for? An early small block (273 or 318)? He said this was 1978 truck 360 block.

Attached picture Mopar Small Block Mount.jpg
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/06/17 12:35 AM

That's a 273/318 bracket.

You either need to find a driver side 340-360 bracket or weld a piece of metal onto that one you have capturing the block upper bolt ear.

You can also section the bracket, moving that low position hole to the upper spot. I do it all the time with those brackets.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/06/17 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By crackedback
That's a 273/318 bracket.

You either need to find a driver side 340-360 bracket or weld a piece of metal onto that one you have capturing the block upper bolt ear.

You can also section the bracket, moving that low position hole to the upper spot. I do it all the time with those brackets.

what he said.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/06/17 03:04 PM

in the old direct connection engine manuals, there was a diagram with the dimensions for a triangular plate to be welded to 318 brackets, converting them to the 340/360 block ears. this may also be in the later mopar performance books, but i don't know for sure, as i do not own any of those. if you want, i can look up that diagram for you.
beer
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/06/17 03:25 PM

Bracket mod
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/07/17 12:37 PM

We were attempting to put a 360 into a 318 70 Duster. The 318 PS mount worked but the DS was like yours. DS mounts are near unobtanium status.

I ended up calling Schumacher and they sold me just the DS mount. About $70. It appears that they may be out of stock, I'd give them a call.

Schumacher
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/07/17 02:01 PM

If you can't find one I probably have one. If you need a picture of the ones I have let me know. If one will work for you how does 25.00 plus shipping sound. Pm me if interested. John
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/07/17 03:54 PM

We used to just use spare nuts to take up the room.....
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Small Block Engine Bracket Question - 08/07/17 04:15 PM

Other than the above mod the IIRC the bracket goes on the other side of the boss, never mind you have it right!
© 2024 Moparts Forums