Moparts

HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY?

Posted By: Magnumguy

HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/25/09 12:07 AM

64 Valiant 4 speed, seller says needs rebuilt. Wondering if this is expensive to do or not?
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/25/09 12:25 AM

If you do it yourself, its not at all expensive. I just rebuilt the box in my Barracuda last week. Can be done easily in a few hours. I got my complete, American made kit from Passon Performance for $160, and that included a new reverse light switch

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/25/09 12:40 AM

What goes bad in them that would require a rebuild, except for the bearings?

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/25/09 12:44 AM

Synchros, sliders, condition of the gears in general. Basically anything in there can be damaged if the trans was beat hard enough. Usually, just bearings and synchros though. Just inspect everything very carefully. BTW, that A38 speedo works like a charm!

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/25/09 02:35 AM

Quote:

BTW, that A38 speedo works like a charm!

I'm glad you're happy with it.
Posted By: JamiePasson

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/26/09 05:12 PM

Different applications call for different kits. Since we put together all of our kits in house, we can provide everything you need and ONLY what you need so that you don't have a lot of extra money tied up with stuff on the shelf that you can't use. We can help you out with a kit for your application. Typically kits do not include the reverse light switch. That was an additional piece ordered. A kit with synchro rings for your application will be less than the $160 that was quoted by azmopardart. Any other trans related parts that you would need, we can help you out with too.
Thanks,
Jamie

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/26/09 07:55 PM

Thanks gang. If I buy this car, I'll be looking to get it fixed. Seller states it won't go into 1st and 2nd.
Posted By: 65 NSS 500

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/26/09 08:34 PM

Yes Go with Jamie at Passon. Hes great to work with and gives fast responses to emails.
Posted By: moper

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/26/09 10:23 PM

If you need hard parts, it will get very costly quick. That said, I got the gears I needed from Jamie and it's slick and whisper quiet now. Good vendor.

Re: HOW EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD A STICK TRANNY? - 02/26/09 11:37 PM

Sorry, I guess I should add the fact the I DID pay $19 extra for the reverse light. Good kit though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums