Moparts

Hunting for paint. Help please.

Posted By: BlueRacer69

Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 02:08 AM

Hi guys. Anyone know where I mite be able to buy small quantities of 1960's/70's Chrysler paints? (not in spray cans). I only need small amounts. I'd like to re-create some of the inspection marks & paint dabs I found on my car before it was repainted. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 07:24 AM

I just used Testor Model Master paint. Was easy to find colors that matched the markings and easy to mix.

The OEM judging guys also sell this paint
Posted By: 4mayhemi

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 07:27 AM

Also Classic sells 2oz bottles ($10.99), markers or kits.
Weren't the daubs done with the body color paints anyway?

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By 4mayhemi
Also Classic sells 2oz bottles ($10.99), markers or kits.
Weren't the daubs done with the body color paints anyway?

I don't think the brown on torsion bars was any body color. I at least hope not.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 04:12 PM

You can buy samples for matching colors... I think I paid around 10 or so for a couple ounce samples when trying to match a color last year.

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By Silver70
You can buy samples for matching colors... I think I paid around 10 or so for a couple ounce samples when trying to match a color last year.
Where-a-bouts did you get those ounce samples?
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 04:37 PM

Inspection marks were not body paint. You can go to an art store like Hobby Lobby they have 100s of colors in small size containers.
Posted By: 4mayhemi

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/02/17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By MOPARMIKE69
Inspection marks were not body paint. You can go to an art store like Hobby Lobby they have 100s of colors in small size containers.

I thought MMC says some of the inspection daubs are very close to body colors. Isn't that a good place to start if you are just eyeing little bottles of paints at Hobby Lobby? Like there is a Testors Sassy Grass that would match the bright green. Otherwise, if you're not buying a kit from Frank Badalson for your plant location, everyone doing their 90-point restoration inspection marks will all have different hues.

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/03/17 02:01 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll checkout Hobby Lobby and see what they have for paint colors. Or I'll call Classic Industries. I see they sell 2 oz bottles of inspection mark paints in the catalog. You guys are awesome.
Posted By: cbusters

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/03/17 04:08 AM

Tractor Supply has a lot of Vaspar enamel colors that match and Rustoleum has a couple enamels (white, blacks)in cans at Home Depot. Get a big supply of throwaway brushes. Remember to get the brush nasty and well used on a small piece of plywood quite a few times before reaching over to swipe the car part. Line inspectors weren't trying to be pretty, just accountable so don't make it look too nice.

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/03/17 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By BlueRacer69
Thanks for the help guys. I'll checkout Hobby Lobby and see what they have for paint colors. Or I'll call Classic Industries. I see they sell 2 oz bottles of inspection mark paints in the catalog. You guys are awesome.

Most of the paint at Hobby Lobby is water based and is not going to work.

Re: Hunting for paint. Help please. - 08/03/17 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426
Originally Posted By BlueRacer69

Most of the paint at Hobby Lobby is water based and is not going to work.
Thanks for that info Morty. Did not know that. I guess I'll just skip Hobby Lobby then and order paint from Classic Industries.
© 2024 Moparts Forums