Moparts

Would you put AC in a 'vert?

Posted By: 6pkaar

Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 08:54 PM

I've got to put a new firewall in a '70 Cuda convertible I'm working on and thought maybe I'd want to add air while it was torn up. This is a non numbers matching car without a build sheet so I don't feel that bad adding air. For those of you with drop tops and air, do you ever use it? While it would be nice to have air, the only time the car will be out is on nice days with the top down. What do you think....should I add it?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 08:55 PM

Yes
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 09:00 PM

For sure....nice on days when it's just too hot out to have the roof down (happens here at least )

When it's 100 degrees out in the middle of the day, I prefer to have the roof up and the a/c on in my driver. When the sun goes down, so does the roof
Posted By: polara71

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 09:22 PM

When I am looking for an older convertible I don't want it to have air . Even if the top is up the windows are down ......
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 09:51 PM

I would not add it, but that's just me

Attached picture 5050017-zz.jpg
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 10:50 PM

Since it's not a concourse restoration, if it fits in your budget, I'd say do it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 11:01 PM

I wouldn't put AC in anything.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/24/09 11:30 PM

It depends I think on what a/c you plan on putting in.
I put in the new classic auto air kit in my 65 coronet convertible.

It does nothing for you with the top down. Not even a little. I thought it would help in the 100 degree heat in stop and go traffic, so I would not sweat so much when I wasn't moving.

Works fine with the top up, but then what is the point of driving that day.

The older original inside a/c setup moves more air from what I remember, and might be worth the pain to add, but since it is a non-ac car, the firewall is a problem.

I am still torn on if I would do it again. I used to feel, no way since I only drive it on nice days.
But there have been times where it was nice on the way out, and bad on the way home, or vice versa and I have driven it.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 12:26 AM

Quote:

Yes

If you can and want to do it...go for it. There will be days you are glad you did.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 12:48 AM

Me personally, I would not ad A/C to a car that did not come that way originally . Especially a convertible. Just my opinion.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 7 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 01:26 AM

I have air in my convertible. When it's 95 degrees the top is up, the windows are up and the air is on.

Attached picture 5050685-DSC00007.JPG
Posted By: phantomx

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 01:40 AM

If you plan to drive it further than around town, I say do it.
Travis..
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 01:55 AM

The 68 GT vert in my sig pic had the ball-cooler A/C and I liked it! Nothing like cruising down the road with the top down and the air blowing up your shorts...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 02:16 AM

Quote:

Me personally, I would not ad A/C to a car that did not come that way originally . Especially a convertible. Just my opinion.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 7 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

Unless a high dollar numbers car w/AC (or maybe if I lived in Phoenix) I would never do it. What it does to an engine bay is a crime.
Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 02:31 AM

I would add it, especially if you think you want it. My Barracuda came with AC from the factory, and I've always planned on putting it back in generally the OEM location but with new hardware (Classic Auto Air like AndrewH). Here in TX, there are really only a few months of the year that are truly top-down all the time weather. AC makes it possible to take the hoopite to work in the morning and not be too sweaty for the office by the time you get there. Plus, there are plenty of ways do a really sneaky install where most of the AC hardware is hidden.

Now all that said, my 68 Sport Fury is an original non-air car. I'm planning on keeping it that way because it's just SOOOO original and strange. I'm just going to lump it as long as I can w/o AC.

So, in the end, do what you want/need to do, but I sure wouldn't worry about putting AC in the car you're working with. Can't hurt the value of a driver.

Clair
Posted By: 6PAX

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't put AC in anything.

Me either.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 05:24 AM

I wouldn't put a/c in a rag top or a hard top. I love cruising around with the windows down, muscle cars look so good that way. Even in the heat I like it. If I planned to take the car on lots of long trips, often, then I would add a/c. If it's gonna just be a cruiser for driving around town and not see the highway much, I would not bother with the a/c.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 05:25 AM

Absolutely. Our three a-body convertibles are non-air and it does get miserable in the summer around here during the day. All three LeBaron convertibles have air and I really like them that way. I've considered aftermarket air for my Barracuda, but I don't think I'll have the money for it.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 06:21 AM

Quote:

I've got to put a new firewall in a '70 Cuda convertible I'm working on and thought maybe I'd want to add air while it was torn up. This is a non numbers matching car without a build sheet so I don't feel that bad adding air. For those of you with drop tops and air, do you ever use it? While it would be nice to have air, the only time the car will be out is on nice days with the top down. What do you think....should I add it?

Is this a real 1970 'Cuda convertible with a 'Cuda vin and data plate? Even if it just has a vin with cowl/radiator support stampings, it still a 'Cuda vert. For that car, I would not add or change the firewall. That's pretty valuable car. People still pay decent money for car without buildsheet and numbers motors.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 07:46 AM

Quote:

Another vote for air. When I got my convertible the first thing I learned is the sun will cook you on nice bright sunny days! Keep plenty of sunscreen in the glove box. It is actually nicer to drive with the top down on cloudy/overcast days.
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 08:07 AM

I wouldn't put A/C in ANYTHING but then again I live in a climate where A/C and/or heat in a car is not needed. I tore the heater out of my Duster in 2001. Have not missed it.
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 08:10 AM

Quote:

If you plan to drive it further than around town, I say do it.
Travis..

Of course you do...You live in the Valley.

That being said when I was in Davis the Duster still didn't have A/C...Neither did the black '55 Buick. The girlfriend's '97 Mitsubishi 1.5 did, but it sucked so much power I just sweated and dealt with it.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 03:02 PM

I remember seeing a ragtop with air the first time I was in Fla many years ago and wondering "why". So I asked the owner and he gave me a very good reason for Fla at least. He said it can easily be 85 deg and pouring rain at the same time. Made sense to me.

I'd put in the biggest BTU kit that will fit in the car for max cooling capacity.

Kevin
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 03:07 PM

[quote
Is this a real 1970 'Cuda convertible with a 'Cuda vin and data plate?

No, it's not a 'Cuda, it's a Barracuda. Originally a 318 / automatic car. When I bought the car it had a non running 360 in it. It needs LOTS of metal work. I'm going to get shot down for this....but I figured I might as well make yet another 'Cuda "clone". Just tossing around the idea of adding air while I'm at it. One day it sounds like a great idea, the next I figure it's not worth the hassle. So I thought I'd get the opinion of guys that have 'verts with and without air and if they use it or wish they had it.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 03:46 PM

Northerners say no.
Southerners say yes.
Looks like you're stuck somewhere in the middle.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 04:06 PM

One more comment. If you don't put the AC you will regret it the first HOT, HUMID day you want to drive it.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 04:40 PM

Not like an aftermarket a/c system costs terribly much, compared to the total of the car if you're already tearing it down to do metal work. You could always go with one of the low-mount a/c compressor mounting kits that puts the compressor under the alternator. That way for the most part you can keep all the a/c components down low and out of sight and out of mind, until you flick that switch and get that cool blast of air. IMO looks much better than an ugly compressor sitting on the top center of your engine. I don't think you would ever really regret putting in something like that even if you don't use it much. Just depends if you want to spend the money on it right now.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 04:45 PM

The height of decadence is top down and A/C full blast. Do it!

-Daty
Posted By: challenger70

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 05:04 PM

I vote for no air, if it's not top down weather drive something else It's not like this is his daily driver.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 05:06 PM

Quote:

The height of decadence is top down and A/C full blast. Do it!

-Daty

Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 05:07 PM

I vote for AC allways... vert cars with top up are MORE HOT inside than regulars hardtops

then if you want to turn on or not, is your problem but will have the option.

AC is necesary specially on rainy days. Is false the vent or deffog keeps the same exterior temperature inside, so you gets fog inside ALLWAYS.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 05:14 PM

No, I got a 67 'cuda vert and have driven it for several years without A/C (it came that way). I don't miss it one bit, but then again I like cars with manual windows, manual locks, manual tranmission and a carb on top of the engine!

Bob
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 06:14 PM

Yes

Perfect Top down weather is below 80f anything more you can put the top up and a/c on on or top down and A/C on to maybe 85f
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 06:17 PM

i would without hesitation and love it
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 06:42 PM

Quote:

[quote
Is this a real 1970 'Cuda convertible with a 'Cuda vin and data plate?

No, it's not a 'Cuda, it's a Barracuda. Originally a 318 / automatic car. When I bought the car it had a non running 360 in it. It needs LOTS of metal work. I'm going to get shot down for this....but I figured I might as well make yet another 'Cuda "clone". Just tossing around the idea of adding air while I'm at it. One day it sounds like a great idea, the next I figure it's not worth the hassle. So I thought I'd get the opinion of guys that have 'verts with and without air and if they use it or wish they had it.

In that case, let the freon fly!!! Go for it.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 07:14 PM

Quote:

The 68 GT vert in my sig pic had the ball-cooler A/C and I liked it! Nothing like cruising down the road with the top down and the air blowing up your shorts...

A/C makes it soooo much more enjoyable to drive when it gets really hot out.
Posted By: tranch

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 08:34 PM

Quote:

Northerners say no.
Southerners say yes.
Looks like you're stuck somewhere in the middle.

Let me add a comment from "The Middle!" Here in the midwest, Chicago Area, the humidity can be higher than the temperature and raining! Makes the interior of your car like a steam room!
It's not a numbers matching, concours restoration, and, most importantly IT'S YOURS so do what YOU want to do with the car and don't worry what others tell you. If the A/C install is done correctly it's going to enhance the value of the car anyway!
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Would you put AC in a 'vert? - 02/25/09 10:16 PM

The electronic controled box for a/c really cleans up under the dash. No mess of vacuum hoses or cables. Doesn't look stock, but was a much nicer install.
It really isn't that much. Around 1600 I think when all was said and done including the freon charge.

But mine required a lot of work since it was a universal kit and wasn't meant for that car or engine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums