Moparts

How did they mount this Tach?

Posted By: CompSyn

How did they mount this Tach? - 07/18/17 07:29 AM

Any ideas? At 0:27 in the vid. How did they mount this tack on a column shift car? What size tack is it? What brand? Guess I assumed it was near impossible. Learn something new everyday.

Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/18/17 07:44 AM

Maybe a large hose clamp? Can't really tell in that video. That's what
held my tach on the steering column of my Duster. twocents
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/18/17 12:54 PM

yep, back in the day it was large hose clamps strung together.
Posted By: therocks

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/18/17 02:06 PM

I agreehose clamp.Used it quite a few times.the tach was usually a Sun or that type that was really popular back then.had one in my truck like that not long ago also.Cant remember the exact size of tach but its like 3 inch IIRC.Rocky
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/18/17 02:51 PM

You guys don't still use hose clamps?

Thats just a standard 3 inch tach, as mentioned mount with a hose clamp, either in front of or behind the column mechanism. I had a 5 inch tach mounted on my column shift column, you can get it to work, may need to play with how deep the tach sits in the mounting bracket.
Posted By: moparx

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/18/17 05:07 PM

from the video, it looks like a sun supertach [2 ?]. if you can get a giant, black, heavy duty zip tie and a zip tie tool, i have used those to attach tachs to the column. works great, and in my opinion, looks better than a hose clamp to boot !
beer
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/18/17 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
if you can get a giant, black, heavy duty zip tie and a zip tie tool, i have used those to attach tachs to the column. works great, and in my opinion, looks better than a hose clamp to boot !
beer

ah, you young whipper snappers have it too easy! biggrin
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/19/17 03:18 PM

I used a large hose clamp
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/19/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By moparsquid

I use same thing. But used a length of black heat shrink tubing to hid the stainless clamp.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/19/17 11:18 PM

Hare are more pics of the car in question:http://www.uniquemankato.com/vehicles/436/1969-plymouth-roadrunner-2dr-hardtop
Posted By: moparx

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/20/17 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331
Originally Posted By moparx
if you can get a giant, black, heavy duty zip tie and a zip tie tool, i have used those to attach tachs to the column. works great, and in my opinion, looks better than a hose clamp to boot !
beer

ah, you young whipper snappers have it too easy! biggrin

young eh ? thanks ! i feel better ! my old hands just don't have the oomph they once had, so i cheat as much as i can nowdays ! biggrin
beer
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: How did they mount this Tach? - 07/20/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By RoadRunner
Originally Posted By moparsquid

I use same thing. But used a length of black heat shrink tubing to hid the stainless clamp.

Great tip on the heat shrink tubing! up
© 2024 Moparts Forums