Moparts

Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers?

Posted By: dogdays

Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/14/17 10:55 PM

I was watching the movie Man on Fire and one of the cars was a later Charger, the one that there are no repro body parts for here in the States.
Has anyone ever looked south of the border?
Back in the day I refused to consider them real Chargers because they were "too ugly". Strange how scarcity can change preferences...
R.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/14/17 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays

Back in the day I refused to consider them real Chargers because they were "too ugly". Strange how scarcity can change preferences...
R.

you're not alone. i never considered a 71 and up Road Runner to be a real one!
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 03:23 AM

Why would there be NOS panels in Mexico?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By Montclaire

Back in the day, there were a few Mexican individuals and small companies that imported American cars/parts authorized from various American mfgs to alter/convert them to Mexican "made" specifications...so the possibility of NOS parts while slim, might be feasible?
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 03:29 AM

Uhhhhmmm, AMD stopped making sheet metal? Don't think so...

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By moparjim79
Uhhhhmmm, AMD stopped making sheet metal? Don't think so...

Some people only want NOS...regardless of the aftermarkets offerings
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 03:48 AM

search up body panels for 71 and up chargers on the amd site. pretty slim pickings
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By Montclaire

For the same reason we got NOS panels and parts in Venezuela
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 04:47 AM

You might check with a member here, Cesar Perez, although ive never delt with him directly I know maybe 10-12 years ago I think he had a connection outside the usa for some nos parts.

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331
search up body panels for 71 and up chargers on the amd site. pretty slim pickings

For the 71-2 there's actually quite an offering from AMD, full rear qtrs 71-2, door skins 71 RT, 72 SE, inner fenders, cowls, floors, trunk floors, a host of various braces/brackets, radiator support, front and rear valances, 4spd floor humps, dutchman panel, door hinges, wheel houses, trunk gutters, glass, and a host of other items, hoods are due to be released as well

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/16/17 06:51 AM

Not much at all out there for 73/74, except for the 71/72 panels that will fit other models. I had a shot at NOS quarters and fenders about 5-6 years ago and I should have pulled the trigger.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/18/17 12:27 AM

I can't believe that a Mopar guy wouldn't know about Mexican Mopars. Read all about them here: http://www.allpar.com/world/mexico.html

R.

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/18/17 05:19 AM

I know about Mexican mopars. But your link confirms what I recalled, which was no distribution in Mexico of 73/74 Chargers - what most of us would call "later" chargers.

That point aside, unless I was going through a known vendor, I wouldn't consider buying NOS across the border at any cost.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/18/17 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331

Yup... iagree with what he said..I really wish AMD would step up and offer SOMETHING more than what they currently do for the '73-74 Chargers.
I don't understand why they don't want to offer up more sheet metal like their '71-72 siblings? shruggy For some reason I get the feeling that these newers cars are treated like red-headed step children ozbbq

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/18/17 04:40 PM

Part of the problem is that companies will reproduce parts that there is really no demand for, such as the new 73/74 grille shells. The urethane headlamp surrounds, yes, but grilles themselves are pretty common. Then the parts do not sell, the company sees a soft market for that model year, and more parts do not get reproduced.

I still can't understand why they haven't repopped the 71-74 roof skin. After that the biggest need would probably be full quarters. You have the Tabco skins now but they do not cover the reveal on the quarter window that is usually rotted. Trunk lids on these cars are always shot, too. At least the roof skins and trunk lids would cover a broader year range.

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/18/17 04:50 PM

73/74 grilles and headlight fillers are announced on Classic industries as COMING SOON... yeah, since one year ago!

Same as 71/72 grilles and A bodies grilles.

I'm with you on the roof skin specially since it's EXACTLY THE SAME PIECE for all 71/74 2 doors B bodies ( plymouth and dodge )

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/18/17 04:59 PM

I have a set of fillers prepaid on back order. Supposedly the first sets weren't formed properly and they had to retool. I don't really mind waiting if it means getting a better product in the end, and I am glad they didn't just rush them to market.

Re: Mexican sheet metal for later Chargers? - 07/18/17 06:59 PM

I can wait too, just can't put an order since they don't accept paypal on backordered items
© 2024 Moparts Forums