Moparts

67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting?

Posted By: captainjack

67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting? - 06/26/17 02:49 PM

I have a 67 Dodge Coronet R/T 4-speed and am experiencing a THUMP when releasing the clutch fromn first to second and second to third. Anyone
have any idea's on cause. Any info appreciated. I am original owner. Car has 50,683 miles. PM me or e mail moparjack67@sbcglobal.net. THANKS for the add MOPARTS!
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: 67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting? - 06/26/17 02:53 PM

Pinion snubber hitting the floor? Do you have an extended snubber?
Posted By: captainjack

Re: 67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting? - 06/26/17 03:08 PM

No the snubber I have is the Original that came with the car.
Posted By: RichV

Re: 67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting? - 06/26/17 05:22 PM

I have seen later model cars do this when they have a lot of backlash in the rear diff. It is annoying but it didn't affect durability.
Posted By: TJP

Re: 67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting? - 06/26/17 05:27 PM

Other possibilities are U-joints, trans mount, shocks / bushings, exhaust hangars weak. shruggy beer
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting? - 06/26/17 05:44 PM

Are the rear springs sagging, rear ride height low? That will put the stock pinion snubber close to the floor.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 67 Coronet R/T 4-speed thump from rearend when shifting? - 06/27/17 07:03 AM

I've had a few 8 3/4 center sections that the cross pin that retains the spider gears had started wearing a slot in the center's hub, one was about a 1/2" from ripping the hub into two pieces.

With the rear end jacked up and the tires off the ground, there was a very noticeable lack of movement between the driveshaft yoke and the tires when rotating by hand and changing rotation direction.

Check the noise out, don't assume everything is OK. Gene
© 2024 Moparts Forums