Moparts

Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable

Posted By: earlymopar

Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/26/17 02:23 PM

Regardless of your car or truck, have any of you retained your early factory throttle pedal (linkage style) for cosmetic purposes and then mated it to a cable? I know I can replace the pedal for one that is designed for a cable but I'd prefer to not change the OEM pedal and rod that exits the firewall.

- EM
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/26/17 03:16 PM

could you provide pics?
Posted By: Centerline

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/26/17 04:07 PM

Not sure what years you're referring to but my '64 used a cable from the factory. Just finished modifying the cable to lengthen it so it would connect to my AVS on a highrise Mopar intake.

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/26/17 04:26 PM

I don't have any pictures but its a 64' D100 pickup pedal. This is the OEM pedal with linkage. I'm looking to retain the pedal and only the short piece of the linkage that comes from the pedal and extends through the firewall. I can attach a cable at that point and use a bell crank to reverse the push-pull direction of the cable with the pedal if I need to and if no other options crop up. I understand the early A body V-8 (273) used a cable from the factory so it would be nice if one of those pedals would bolt-in directly.

- EM
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/26/17 04:37 PM

I had a 61 Valiant that had a rod set up.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/26/17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
I had a 61 Valiant that had a rod set up.

That one twisted instead of push pull. I did the opposite, eliminated the cable and used a rod on my 64 Plym,
Why do you want to change? Missing-broken parts? Check with Lokar Cable they might have something that will work.

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/26/17 06:55 PM

The reason for the change is that I'm swapping the slant 6 for a Poly 318 and my new manifold and carburetor is quite a bit higher than the OEM rods and pivot points from the slant 6 linkage. I've also given thought to just making a new, longer set of rods. I have a Lokar cable left over from another project that is planned for the pickup if I go the cable route. I just wanted to see how others have gone after this same issue. Interestingly, the factory linkage is very simple and I think easy to adapt to the new engine and intake set-up. -EM
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/28/17 05:49 AM

IIRC, the problem is that the pedal hinges on the floor, so it is pushing the rod. Not real sure how you could get it to pull a cable.

On my '66 Valiant I just used a later cable style pedal, but I wasn't concerned about looks. 99% of the people who looked in the car never knew the difference anyway.

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/28/17 02:40 PM

Quote:
On my '66 Valiant I just used a later cable style pedal.
that's what I did, 2 holes in the floor to mount it & that very quickly solved that problem. just get a JY one with the right length cable.
Posted By: bbtrux

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/28/17 02:48 PM

Later sweptline trucks used cable. Maybe a later sweptline pedal would be ok for you?

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/28/17 02:50 PM

^^^ Ding ding ding We may have a winna.

Re: Factory Throttle Pedal and Rod to Cable - 06/28/17 04:19 PM

Thanks much for the tip. I've never looked at a later Sweptline up close so was not aware of this.

- EM
© 2024 Moparts Forums