Moparts

possible to pick a trunk lock?

Posted By: Adam71Charger

possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 03:24 PM

my keys are lost and possibly in the trunk my 81 chrysler. Has anyone here successfully picked a trunk lock similar to what I would have? I know some are hard to pick without locksmith tools but if there's an easy way to do it what is it? Feel free to pm me if you dont want to post it on a public forum. I really dont want to pay 100 for a locksmith to come out here and open it.

The trunk release in glove box doesnt work. My first plan of action is to take the glove box apart to get to the back of the switch and bypass or feed it 12v and see what happens. If that doesnt work, I want to try picking it. Locksmith is last resort
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 03:27 PM

Did you try removing the rear seat. I'm not sure what your trunk latch looks like but on the older cars you can use a long screw driver to turn the latch from inside the trunk.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 03:36 PM

pay you skinniest neighborhood kid a buck to squeeze thru the back seat area with a socket or if you pick it, cut down a hacksaw blade to make a thin strip & use it to hold the door open & exert a slight CW rotation on the cyl as you reach in with a thin pick & push up each of the 5 tumblers till they "catch" then you can rotate the cyl the rest of the way. it will take a fair amt of practice & I would get the skinny kid to take care of it first.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 03:37 PM

Taping a thin blade screwdriver to a broom handle works great if you can get the back seat out.

If you have Chrysler trunk keys from other cars you can try them too.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 05:35 PM

i use sockets on long extensions to remove the latch bolts when opening from the back seat.
Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 06:20 PM

Just drill the pins out with a small bit and use a screwdriver.
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By GTSDart340
Just drill the pins out with a small bit and use a screwdriver.

That's the way i did it when my road runner's trunk latch cylinder broke and would just spin. Of course the trunk was inaccessible from the rear seats due to the sub woofers so that was the only way in. It worked!
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 07:12 PM

The key works, it's just locked in the trunk? Pull the seat back out and grab the key

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/24/17 07:22 PM

^^^ that's too easy!
Posted By: minivan

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 12:14 AM

Isnt the glove box the same key?

Take your glove box lock to a locksmith and have him make a key...
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 02:16 AM

Once had a father in law who was a locksmith. Would go with him on some lock out service calls This was in 60's. GM cars he had a key ring with a very large number of keys that he would try until one would be jackpot. Somewhat forget what he did with Fords,,,,perhaps the owners if locked out were not interested to pay to gain entrance and just walk away from them.

Mopar's he would insert a blank key, twist and shake it about to make slight impressions on it, remove it, file impressions a bit and try again until lock opened.

He called it to impression the key. Always worked, but he preferred locked out GM's.

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 02:41 AM

Got it. Thank you
Posted By: flypaper

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 02:54 AM

to answer you original question..
yes it is very possible but you need someone who is good at it.
the easiest way to spot a locksmith hack,
is by how fast he breaks out the drill.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr

Mopar's he would insert a blank key, twist and shake it about to make slight impressions on it, remove it, file impressions a bit and try again until lock opened.

He called it to impression the key. Always worked, but he preferred locked out GM's.

On a road trip from Detroit to Reno for Hot August Nites in my 69 Bee. We stopped in Iowa for the night. Next morning I'm in the shower, the girl friend thinking she's helping out puts my dirty pants in the dirty laundry bag and puts it in the trunk, which was open, the car doors were locked, closes the trunk. I get out of the shower look for my dirty pants to get the keys and wallet, no pants. I ask her were my pants are, she says in the trunk. Call a local lock smith to come out and open the trunk. He used the impression the key trick. Took him about ten minutes.

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 03:14 AM

Quote:
Got it. Thank you
what method did you use!
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 06:44 AM

I have about 30 keys for Mopars, one of them with a little wiggling will open a door, trunk or ignition. Lock goes bad, I get a good one and change the pins to fit the key. Don't even need all five pins, two or three will work.

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 10:20 AM

I used the switch. Idk what was wrong, I remember this switch never working and I've pressed it a bunch. Today I took the glove box off and pulled the wire to the trunk release and put it back on and it worked. It is possible that I never had the ignition key in an on position while trying before. I hope not. This car is driving me crazy.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
Taping a thin blade screwdriver to a broom handle works great if you can get the back seat out.

Barry,just had to respond to this,couldn't help myself grin !! If the trunk lock arm is engaged in the latch,how would you ever get a thin blade screw driver on a broom handle in from the other side ? no

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 02:46 PM

Quote:
I get a good one and change the pins to fit the key. Don't even need all five pins, two or three will work.
Agreed, no one picks locks anymore (except in the movies). several junk cyls to choose from is handy so you can select the tumblers to match the key notch depth(s). You want the heights "even" with the key inserted. the tabs on the chrome cover are delicate so bend them just enough so the cover will come off. & there is a specific graphite lube to squirt in there available at your parts house but it ain't absolutely neccessary.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

Barry,just had to respond to this,couldn't help myself grin !! If the trunk lock arm is engaged in the latch,how would you ever get a thin blade screw driver on a broom handle in from the other side ? no

The lock arm isn't that tight a fit. There is room to get a thin screwdriver in between the arm and the latch. Give it a try.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 05:46 PM

BFH and a chisel, works every time!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By Iowan
BFH and a chisel, works every time!

time to get out of the cave there Alley Oop.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: possible to pick a trunk lock? - 06/25/17 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By stumpy
Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

The lock arm isn't that tight a fit. There is room to get a thin screwdriver in between the arm and the latch. Give it a try.

And the arm will rotate enough to open, crawled through with a screwdriver a few times myself ( much younger and thinner then)
© 2024 Moparts Forums