Moparts

Big block oil pump ??????

Posted By: 62maxwgn

Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/21/17 06:02 PM

Posted this a long time ago,nobody knew,still trying to figure it out.Bottom picture on right is stock pump.

Attached picture Picture 1028.jpg
Attached picture Picture 835.jpg
Attached picture Picture 1062.jpg
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/21/17 07:03 PM

What's the question?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/21/17 07:43 PM

Looks like a high volume pump to me.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/21/17 07:55 PM

There are interesting marks in the 7-9 o'clock areas on the second picture from top. If the impeller rotates clockwise in that picture, the marks are probably cavitation.

R.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/21/17 09:57 PM

Stock pumps have the elongated hole put given the passage from the block is round its questionable as to the benefit. Smoothing the rough casting in all those ports is a definite bonus.

I imagine the slotted rotor is someone's idea for lubrication. How many millions of pumps are out there without the slot ?!?!? Pointless.

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/21/17 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Stock pumps have the elongated hole put given the passage from the block is round its questionable as to the benefit. Smoothing the rough casting in all those ports is a definite bonus.

I imagine the slotted rotor is someone's idea for lubrication. How many millions of pumps are out there without the slot ?!?!? Pointless.

If it someones idea and pointless,then Chrysler is the culprit,that is a N.O.S. pump in the original box unopened when I got it 30 yrs ago !!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 01:18 AM

I think everything has a reason (good or bad!). it may have been a slot to secure it for machining somewhere down the line but if that is the case you'd sure think all of em would have it (or something similar).
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 02:42 AM

Quote:
If it someones idea and pointless,then Chrysler is the culprit,that is a N.O.S. pump in the original box unopened when I got it 30 yrs ago !!

Well they haven't made them like that since so obviously they saw no point in it either !!!

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 05:46 AM

Quote:

Well they haven't made them like that since so obviously they saw no point in it either !!!

Just won't quit will you,as far as since,maybe just because you have never seen one thats an assumption on your part and you know what that can mean !!

Also if you want to turn a simple question into a p#####g match,no better place than Moparts ! pity
Posted By: elmor353

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 06:03 AM

Still not sure what it is you wanted to know, since you didn't post a question that I could see.

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 06:13 AM

The question was the purpose of the slot in the outer rotor!
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 07:34 AM

They are built like that to start arguments. See how good it worked!

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
They are built like that to start arguments. See how good it worked!

Amen to that !!!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

haha

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 04:45 PM

Bill all the Melling pumps I have gotten in the last decade plus have at oval hole

Re: Big block oil pump ?????? - 06/22/17 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
Quote:

Just won't quit will you,as far as since,maybe just because you have never seen one thats an assumption on your part and you know what that can mean !!

Also if you want to turn a simple question into a p#####g match,no better place than Moparts ! pity

Bill troll
© 2024 Moparts Forums