Moparts

Power Steering - Police box?

Posted By: urdustd

Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 12:16 AM

I need to replace/rebuild the stock power steering box in my 74 Duster. I would like to get a "police firm feel" box for it as I personally think the stock units are way too light. I looked at the Firm Feel stuff, but was hoping the factory unit was still available. Any suggestions? And sorry I'm not going to manual as I drive the car....

Does anyone have any experience with the Firm Feel units?
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 12:26 AM

firm feel stage III
Posted By: beepsalot

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 12:33 AM

trying to find a good used police box is crazy. firm feel is a good choice
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 12:34 AM

Quote:

I need to replace/rebuild the stock power steering box in my 74 Duster. I would like to get a "police firm feel" box for it as I personally think the stock units are way too light. I looked at the Firm Feel stuff, but was hoping the factory unit was still available. Any suggestions? And sorry I'm not going to manual as I drive the car....

Does anyone have any experience with the Firm Feel units?

Factory units are discontinued.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 01:20 AM

I just installed a Firm Feel stage 111 box. I drove my buddies Hemi GTX with a stage 111 and liked it.

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 03:04 AM

Thanks guys for the replies!

autoxcuda, what are you using on your Cuda?

70sixpkRT - how would you compare it to the factory box?
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 03:30 AM

When I drove my buddies GTX the box was tighter and felt good. The stock ones have alot of slop.

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 05:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys for the replies!

autoxcuda, what are you using on your Cuda?

70sixpkRT - how would you compare it to the factory box?

I'm using a Mopar Parts re-manufactured box I bought in 1993 for like $165. I think it's discontinued now. That was 50K miles ago.

I thought since it was re-manufactured it would have NEW interals, not just rebuilts ones. Can anyone varify that?

Now 50K miles later, I see the output shaft has side play when it's up on jackstands and I move the wheels back and forth. Those 50K or so miles were not easy ones though

The feel on my unit is nice. But I don't think it has the effort of a Police box. BUT there are a lot of things that effect feel and effort that don't have to do with the steering box. Mods to my car that would effect steering feel and effort:

*Smaller 15" La Carrra Steering wheel give less leaverage and take more effort to turn
*3-5 degrees positve caster. Postive caster makes the car want to return to center and takes more driver effort to turn.
*225/60/15 tires I ran 60 series Dunlop H speed rated tires. Smaller sidewall gives more responsive reaction to steering inputs. I've run 225/50/15 ZR and 245/50/15 ZR tires with event stiffer sidewalls and there are more responsive.

Now, I do have a Firm Feel Stage II rebuilt box in my 68 Dart Conv. That car has stock 16" steering wheel, 245/60/15 series tires, stock torsion bars, and it's a convertible (flex). Feels about the same as my Barracuda in regards to effort.

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 07:56 PM

Autoxcuda and 70sixpkRT - I really appreciate the additional information.

It looks like I need to give Firm Feel a call and see what the difference is between the level 2 and 3.....

Anybody else have suggestions?
Posted By: cuda70

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/23/09 09:17 PM

I got one from advance auto for 1989 Dodge Diplomat SE Police P/S Gear Box
Product Number: NSP276515 . I think it was around $170.

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/24/09 04:18 AM

Quote:

I got one from advance auto for 1989 Dodge Diplomat SE Police P/S Gear Box
Product Number: NSP276515 . I think it was around $170.

Thanks cuda70

Rockauto.com and partsamerica.com both carried it, but it's a reman'd Cardone unit p/n 276515. I also found it on autopartsgiant.com for $115. Problem is they all have a $125 core charge...maybe they won't be able to tell the difference when I send back my old standard box, maybe.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/24/09 04:50 AM

replace/rebuild your unit.install a sway bar.[maybe rear axel too]money well spent.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/24/09 05:07 AM

OK Starting around 74 IIRC they went to a larger sector shaft coming out of the steering box. What pitman arm would you use in an earlier B or E Body that had a smaller shaft? I'm guessing the later B-Body (Cordoba etc) one?

Re: Power Steering - Police box? - 02/24/09 06:44 AM

Quote:

OK Starting around 74 IIRC they went to a larger sector shaft coming out of the steering box. What pitman arm would you use in an earlier B or E Body that had a smaller shaft? I'm guessing the later B-Body (Cordoba etc) one?

They went large sector in 73. For large sector box in a 68-72 B-body use a 74 Challenger pitman.
© 2024 Moparts Forums