Moparts

Points will NOT open

Posted By: russ71satellite

Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 06:55 AM

71 model 318 with points ignition. Attempting to install new points, and I cannot get the points to open at all when the rubbing block of the points is on the lobe of the distributor cam. Moving the points assembly as far as possible within the slot for the mounting screw does no good. Lobes of the dist cam do not seem worn down, and the distributor seems to work fine.

Has anyone ever dealt with this problem?

Thanks!
Posted By: captaindodge

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 12:15 PM

Distributor bearings are worn. Try bending the stationary part of the point set a little or enlarge the slot on the moveable part of the points.
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 12:28 PM

A couple times over the years I've run into replacement point sets with a rubbing block shorter than the original set being replaced. Certainly enlarging the adjustment slot would address this.

Can't say I've had a distributor worn to the point where it wouldn't open points, but nothing much surprises me anymore.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 01:26 PM

Compare the new set to the old set something's wrong,or buy another set.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 02:38 PM

^ this

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone....makes sense. Will enlarge the slot just a bit and this may solve the issue. I did compare the rubbing blocks on 3 sets I have, and no difference. I do feel just a bit of play on the end of the shaft.
Posted By: Dibbons

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 07:29 PM

I had this same problem. Purchased a 318 CID 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. The previous owner told me the transmission was slipping (drivetrain was out of car). I had the tranny rebuilt-no problem. The funny thing is the previous owner also told me the slipping transmission was causing the points to "burn up" and that while driving the vehicle with the slipping transmission he was replacing the points frequently. His ignition problem explanation made no sense to me at all.

Now when I re-installed the motor and transmission, I was sitting in the patio installing new points only to find they would not even open at any adjustment. I had to purchase a new (made in Taiwan) distributor at Pep Boys. This solved the problem for awhile. But then I noticed a missing problem on the highway and it seemed the problem was the points again. I changed them out during a road trip and then made it to a motel where a waiting for Summit to rush me overnight a Petronix billet pointless distributor. No problems so far with that.

The points problem remains a bit of a mystery. I assumed the factory distributor was just worn, but why the new (not rebuilt) Pep Boys distributor starting acting up I don't know. Could it be a problem with that bronze/brsss distributor shaft bushing in the block? Don't know.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/10/17 09:43 PM

You answered your own question....made in Taiwan.

Re: Points will NOT open - 06/11/17 06:55 AM

I got it running very well today. I drilled out the adjustment slot, allowing me to move the mounting plate for the points further toward the dist cam. Took about an hour or so, but got the points set at .017, reset timing and she is running very well. Nice strong, blue/white spark at the points.

Thanks for the tips!
© 2024 Moparts Forums