Moparts

Big Block Distrbutor Shaft

Posted By: Texas383

Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/23/17 08:40 PM

Changed cam. Primed oil pump . Now drive shaft won't go down into oil pump all the way. Still a good ways from even engaging drive gear on cam. Feels like it's bottoming out before it's all the way in. I suppose something happened while priming....? Anyone have a clue?!?!?!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/23/17 08:51 PM

Use your priming rod to turn the pump a little and then try installing the intermediate shaft again. If no go, repeat.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/23/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

Use your priming rod to turn the pump a little and then try installing the intermediate shaft again. If no go, repeat.

I agree. You're trying to line up BOTH the hex end of the drive shaft & the gears on the cam. It sounds like one of those two is off slightly and John's idea would work just fine.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/23/17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

I agree. You're trying to line up BOTH the hex end of the drive shaft & the gears on the cam. It sounds like one of those two is off slightly and John's idea would work just fine.

Yep. Or you can rotate the engine with a breaker bar slowly. This will rotate the cam gear and intermediate shaft until the hex lines up with the oil pump.

Two ways to do the same thing. Good luck.
Posted By: Texas383

Re: Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/23/17 09:43 PM

I will give it a try. Thanx!
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/23/17 11:02 PM

Remember when it starts to go in it wants to rotate counterclockwise as it drops.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/23/17 11:38 PM

If turning the hex with the priming rod don't do it (likely it will) you might loosen the pump housing slightly so you can get a dead on hex alignment & I always do that when going together.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Big Block Distrbutor Shaft - 05/24/17 04:19 AM

Also keep in mined that when the #1 cylinder is at top dead center the slot in the oil pump drive gear should be facing straight front to back of the engine. If not. you'll have to re do the plug wires to where the rotor is pointing. Do it right , less confusing later.
© 2024 Moparts Forums